Alternator to Battery wire size ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxlFoley

Reaction score
I am slowly working my way through my wiring on the van, i need to replace the wiring from the Alternator to the battery, but finding it difficult to find what size wire is needed, does anyone know?

Thanks

Mark

p.s. no wonder people don't like wiring, the websites are very confusing!

6mm² according to the wiring diagram. The numbers on the wires are the cross sectional area

If you running an alternator you need to have a look at the amps it pushes out, then have a look on http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/1030/battery-starter-cable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should be able to see what you need.

As a guide 7mm2 can handle 50amps, I would guess that your alternator is 55amps or above and you want a bit of leeway on it.

*Sam* said:
As a guide 7mm2 can handle 50amps, I would guess that your alternator is 55amps or above and you want a bit of leeway on it.
Good point on the alternator, I guess the original wiring was for a dynamo. I wonder how many people upgraded the wiring when swapping to an alternator.....

My one certainly wasn't, so when I got fussy with my engine bay last year I ran new cable, however I opted to go for what I deemed a slightly neater setup.
I used battery terminal wire I think it's 16mm2 because I had a some kicking around, I ran from the Alternator to the starter then a new cable from the starter to the battery.
All works fine and looks nicer than a wire draped across to the battery from the alternator.

Latest posts