Anyone use their bus as a daily?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddffrost

Reaction score
Hi,

Been using my van as my daily for the past week and its been pretty good fun not sure i'd like to do it every week like.

Anyone else use theirs everyday and anyone fekked off with everyone 1mm of your bumper all the time?

Dave

Yes, and yes.

I find my van tends to halve in speed as soon as someone is too close. It only seems to do it when someone is tailgating me though (Anyone else have this odd problem?)

Normally works, the other day however someone kept me at under 20mph for 3 whole miles (they didn't get the point...). At times I couldn't even see the bonnet of their brand new mini in the rear mirror - they were close enough I could only see the windscreen upwards.

I find the steering can be a touch 'firm' if you are knackered whilst parking, especially with 4-7 passengers on board it gets a lot heavier. Otherwise I've no problems, my bus even goes in multistorey car parks :D

Oh, and it drinks petrol a little more than I'd like. My fuel gauge isn't too accurate.

In the past my camper was our only car for around 12 months and last year I was using my '69 Beetle as my daily for about 3 months, what got me was that other drivers seemed to think they had to overtake the "old car infront" although I was driving near to the speed limit and even if it meant some seriously risky manoeuvre :shock:

Tofufi said:
Yes, and yes.

I find my van tends to halve in speed as soon as someone is too close. It only seems to do it when someone is tailgating me though (Anyone else have this odd problem?)

Normally works, the other day however someone kept me at under 20mph for 3 whole miles (they didn't get the point...). At times I couldn't even see the bonnet of their brand new mini in the rear mirror - they were close enough I could only see the windscreen upwards.

I find the steering can be a touch 'firm' if you are knackered whilst parking, especially with 4-7 passengers on board it gets a lot heavier. Otherwise I've no problems, my bus even goes in multistorey car parks :D

Oh, and it drinks petrol a little more than I'd like. My fuel gauge isn't too accurate.

:lol: Mine does the same.
I used to use my '72 Devon as a daily driver.
I'm a self-employed electrician and it was the perfect size. However, when the work was away from Bristol, I'd never earn any money after putting fuel in.

Yup i do

I like getting up peoples arse in traffic queues, like a real bus driver

I like people tailgating me.. so they can read my bumper stickers! :lol:

this was my daily for two years. rain sleet and snow evertone felt it was some sort of mission to overtake it

mybeetle.jpg

then i fitted this.

mybeetle2.jpg

sorted that problem out. i used to love beating boy racers off the lights. or the sadistic lane merge squeeze were you kepp the boy racer on the outside after the lights till his lane runs out.

used to try the same when i was commuting on my old vespa. but people realy dont like being blown away by a 48 year old scooter

I do sometimes, I piss people off at the moment as my indicators don't work :D

It also drinks the fuel I think I worked out it can do 94 miles on £30 not to good.

Never had the van MOT to drive daily yet, but used my stock 66 1300 bug for 6 months in all weather snow rain whatever. 80 miles a day round trip to work and it never missed a beat, it was a little slow on the motorway but never had anyone bulling me to get past.

If i was driving the van daily i would seriously consider an LPG conversion as it would pay for itself in 7-8 months.

We used our bus all last summer for the school runs, shopping trips etc, I use it for my carpentry buisness as you can lay doors etc on the open RnR bed and I dont have anything else in there so I can get all my tools etc and being a sunroof model I can stick long lengths out the roof.
It also earns its keep by doing deliveries for Homebase where my son works (when they get stuck) and this year it will be used as the firms van for my girlfriends wool shop.
Oh and its also a prom night favourite with the kids and will be our wedding car and honeymoon car, well it is white :)

andewilson said:
this was my daily for two years. rain sleet and snow evertone felt it was some sort of mission to overtake it

then i fitted this.

I always get the people overtaking me thing... even when I'm doing 30 on 30mph roads, people decide they don't like being behind my bus.

Hence, I got this engine for my bug - £300 well spent ;)

CIMG7526.jpg

:D

andewilson said:
sorted that problem out. i used to love beating boy racers off the lights. or the sadistic lane merge squeeze were you kepp the boy racer on the outside after the lights till his lane runs out.

I never get 'boy racers' doing that... it is always people who should know better driving company BMWs, Mercs or stupid 4x4s.

I think i started a good thread here lol

I find my van is actually pretty good at turning and getting into parking spaces etc but like most of you i think i've put about £100 in the tank over the past week and a half lol.

Dave

My van has been my daily driver since the T4 (Van) decided to not start 2 weeks ago :roll:
The westy has had it's little moments, but has never let me down.
So i gotta say old aircooled VW's are more reliable than newer watercooled one's, at least here they are :wink:

My wife uses her '67 bug as her daily - she loves it! We've had a few teething troubles but as long as you remember that you're driving a 40+ year old vehicle you can't go wrong! Sure beats her old Nissan Micra!

;)

Ahh, the joys of driving your dub daily. Enjoy it now, because before long it’s gonna be cold and miserable again.

You gotta love the outside lane drag/squeeze. I also like slingshot ting out of islands, especially when you just had Mr Astra up your chuff. I have now lost count at how many times people have tried to overtake me after an island only to find out I can accelerate just as quickly as them. (2000type4 with twin Webbers help me a little)

I also like stopping at lights when mr conservative looks across at the big red bus, with its air cooled motor clattering and Stone Temple Pilots blaring out. Only to see a rather handsome 24 year driver in a shirt and tie.

So why do these people constantly try to overtake??, i'd love to know the psychology behind it?, even when there is trail of traffic in front of you?, perhaps wankxxxxs dont have any psychology at all :lol:

our van is our only means of transoprt .... so yes and a big thumbs up! always get people smiling and pointing, much better than a smart car!

since it has come from the engine repair, the '72 has been my daily driver. left the mechanic with 2140km, on 23 March and has 5620km now. so, very big smiles everyday :D

I'm using my bus as a daily at the moment as my Fastback is temporarily broken :( Broken valve spring and likely in need of an engine rebuild. Amazingly my bus is as economical as the Fastback since I serviced it. I find it's really worth checking and adjusting the points frequently to get a better mpg and don't go over 50mph. I do get a lot of tailgating prats who would rather risk death than be behind a 40 year old camper and also they will pull out right in front at junctions rather than suffer the misery of looking at my vans' backside.

I drive the Panzerfaust every day - although if I have a long (work related) journey that isn't a show I nab a pool car to get there quick.

retro.james said:
I drive the Panzerfaust every day - although if I have a long (work related) journey that isn't a show I nab a pool car to get there quick.

some people have all the luck! :wink:

...now how would i go about getting a job like yours? :D

Latest posts