Arguing a Cat B write off?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

type2tattoo

Reaction score
Can anyone advise how to do this, stupid Adrian Flux have told me CyByL can never go back on the road again :( and the guy was particularly shitty about telling me this. edit the shitty guy was from Ageas < _ <

There is no way she is dangerous, she was towed home, the brakes work and all the damage is at the back end.

Please help I don't want this to be the end of her :(

Only way is to speak to a customer services representative and convince them to award cat c or d
If they will not budge the van cannot be legally returned to the road on the same V5C
Could be achieved but not legally

Good luck dealing with Adrian Flux - havent heard many good things over the years ref their service when a claim is needed although they are happy enough to take your money for a premium

Yup, engineer's report. The reason it's being written off isn't because it can't be cut, welded & painted- it's because there are structural and high strength parts which have been heated to extremes and then cooled in an uncontrolled manner. This usually has an annealing effect on steels- what was once hard and springy (like a torsion beam) is possibly now soft and malleable, even though it looks the same...

Sorry, it looks like a lovely bus- but it needs professional appraisal, even if it's just to get a list of parts that may be damaged that need replacing before being returned to the road. In a lot of instances when you add up "parts that MIGHT now be dangerous" and "cost of bodywork repair" you're into financial writeoff territory- though of course nowadays it's becoming less and less common to write off a bay for financial reasons.

Hope it all goes well for you and you're happy with whatever result you get.

You can return it to the road on a Q plate, however the insurance company don't have to let you have it as you have to be a recognised salvage body, you can ask for a contact repair and put it on cat c perhaps

Thanks all <3 It seems I am going to have to fund an independant assessor, cheapest is £100 + VAT someone suggested RAC or AA do a similar thing, will check that out. Just be aware everyone even if you get 'cherished' etc insurance you still only deal with the underwriter who is usually Ageas and they are soulless f***ing A**holes are these brokers supposed to help you through the process?

Sorry for the shit your taking but when it's all sorted out could you post the out come and what you did. Hope you sort it phil

There's no law saying cat A or B cars have to be crushed or broken.

The insurance industry subscribes to a voluntary code of practice stating they will only sell these cars to licensed dismantlers, who agree they will not sell the cars on as repairable salvage. It doesn't always turn out that way.

That said, if at all possible it's better to get it declared as a Cat C or D if possible.

Sorry to see the damage, and good luck :)

I don't condone this but theres always hundreds of 'ahem' logbooks for 'memorabilia' on ebay :msn4: from scrapped/old vans.

Not legal but seems to be normal for people reshelling mini's, lambrettas etc these days.

:msn4: :msn4: :msn4: :msn4:

Webbaldo said:
I don't condone this but theres always hundreds of 'ahem' logbooks for 'memorabilia' on ebay :msn4: from scrapped/old vans.

Not legal but seems to be normal for people reshelling mini's, lambrettas etc these days.

:msn4: :msn4: :msn4: :msn4:

Which is probably what will happen to her if I let the insurance company keep her. She would be worthless though and impossible to insure from what I have read :/

Not sure if this is a silly idea but what is the payout sum? If its not that much is it worth not going through the insurance and just repairing it at your own cost? What I mean is, can you decide not to claim on your insurance then do what you like with it to fix the damage? Or is it too late and the cat is out of the bag writeoff wise?

Really sorry to hear of this one, I really do hope you get sorted. I can't offer any more than has been said but I think I'd be tempted to take zcat7's advice if possible, though as you have had the tow I hope it is not already too late...

Tofufi said:
There's no law saying cat A or B cars have to be crushed or broken.

The insurance industry subscribes to a voluntary code of practice stating they will only sell these cars to licensed dismantlers, who agree they will not sell the cars on as repairable salvage. It doesn't always turn out that way.

That said, if at all possible it's better to get it declared as a Cat C or D if possible.

Sorry to see the damage, and good luck :)

The DVLA withdraw the log book on a cat A or B, so you can't tax it insure it etc

Good news , after an emotional letter the insurance company saw sense and have agreed to cat C her :)

I did tell them the whole VW community was behind me :D

Fantastic news, now you can get stuck in and get her back on the road,i have some rear suspension bits let me know and you can have them free just pay the post

Good Luck
Vinvan

Latest posts