Being realistic with a budget

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoggyB

Reaction score
Hello! I've wanted a T2 for a good few years now and earlier this year I finally read up enough about avoiding engine bay fires to not be terrified by the idea of driving one. Unfortunately I'm not swimming in money so I've got a maximum budget of about £10,000 to play with.

I've been to see a few vans in the north (I live just outside Sheffield and there aren't a whole heap of them around here it seems) around this price point and they're generally very rusty with worrying looking undersides and iffy engines, probably needing a few thousand in repairs to get them solid again.

I'm not holding out for a rust free, perfect looking, centrefold example or anything but something that isn't a complete shed would be nice. Right hand drive with a tin top would be lovely too.

Am I expecting a bit much from my budget?

Sorry for the total newbie question, by the way.

10K should get you a usable & legal bus that might need some cosmetic attention but I wouldnt expect a bus costing 10K to need welding.

That's what I was hoping to hear, Graham, so that's good.

Just had a look at Mikeys ad and it does seem really good. Not sure about LHD driving but I'll see if I can get over that.

I had a young lass come to view my last bus, she said she couldn't do LHD so she went & bought a RHD British bus.
I've not seen it in the metal because, in her words " she's too embarrassed to come & show me it!!!"
I do know she's had it up to Paul Weeding's for an estimate to fetch it up to standard, which came in at £10k!!!!!!!

Ha, from what I've seen of British ones so far that doesn't surprise me.

I'm going to try giving a LHD bus a drive to see how I fare. Shouldn't be too hard, should it? Overtaking isn't going to be an issue after all.

Nothing wrong with a LHD as long as it's solid. Just like driving a RHD in France. You get used to it. You could go RHD but make sure it's a good one. I have a RHD and it has cost over 10 grand to sort and so far 6 years.

Totally agree Alex, I think LHD buses are far nicer to drive in terms of gear lever location etc,

There was a really decent looking LHD Bay on FBIVW recently, US Import, unrestored and looked pretty good in the pics. Not much over the 10k mark iirc.

Ryan

BoggyB said:
Just had a look at Mikeys ad and it does seem really good. Not sure about LHD driving but I'll see if I can get over that.

I reckon that's got to be worth investigation. Looks like a load of good work's been done... Just needs a trip to Graham, to close up that wheel to arch gap a bit! :lol:
There was a link to a few more pics on his Vzi ad: http://s570.photobucket.com/user/Earlybay/profile/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll get used to LHD in no time - Visibility is so good in a microbus. I've only done a couple hundred miles in mine so far but it feels completely natural already

I'm not put off by the LHD issue anymore. I learned to drive RHD quickly enough, switching seats shouldn't be too hard...hopefully.

I'm trying to get my head around the whole import procedure right now. I can't tell if I'm meant to be paying VAT (I don't think I should be since the vans already registered within the EU, but I wouldn't like a surprise 20% addition). That and getting to Ireland to check it and getting the bus back to Sheffield.

Nothing like jumping in at the deep end when buying a classic.

Ha! I always start out with that sort of mentality but if I go more than three days without actually going through with whatever it is I'm wanting to do I start thinking. Thinking ruins fun things.

Go for it, not driven mine yet but I think my van is amazing and can't wait for him being on the road.

Great! As you practically next door you gotta let me view your purchase!

As the owner of a rusty Brit RHD bus and constantly looking for "the new non rusty one" I'd say if I had 10k to spare I'd be going to see mikey s bus. I love it.
I'd say go for it, before I sell mine and buy it off him :lol:
( I'm too attached to mine after 8 years now to flog him off cheap though) :roll:
The only three words that put me off a bus are "rust & end float " ,got neither of those and it shouldn't cost you much to sort out how you want it !
Good luck, take a 2nd person who knows about them to view if poss, then enjoy the shit out of it . ;)

Latest posts