Bigger engine .... What boxes are you running ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobster

Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading my engine next year to something that can get up hills and basically keep up with modern traffic.

Current thinking is either a 1776 or 1955 but I've been told that realistically I should think about shopping the gearbox too to get the most out of it (which may not be a bad thing given the crunch on 3rd!!).

One option would be to hunt out a 6 rib but just wondering what you guys either larger than stock engines are running (and where you sourced them)

Cheers people

Just fitted a Rancho box to mine. My bus has a hi-po 2110, when it's running again I'll let you how it goes.

I've banged on about it so many times before, so apologies :lol: - I'm running a Porsche 901 5 speed gearbox on my 1600.

It dramatically lowers cruising revs and noise, and brings the gears closer together. Even with a 1600 mine will now comfortably sit at 65mph.

Current plan is to go for a 1955 or similar when I've the time to build one :)

Tofufi said:
I've banged on about it so many times before, so apologies :lol: - I'm running a Porsche 901 5 speed gearbox on my 1600.

It dramatically lowers cruising revs and noise, and brings the gears closer together. Even with a 1600 mine will now comfortably sit at 65mph.

Current plan is to go for a 1955 or similar when I've the time to build one :)

Thats the one! 8) ... :lol:

Mine is a modified 002 box for my bus. Pete at cog box has built it and it should give me decent motorway cruising speed. 4.57 final drive with a 0.82 forth gear and ZF LSD. The van will be running a 2276cc which the gearbox has been tailored for.

60mph at 2900rpm
70mph at 3400rpm
80mph at 3900rpm
90mph at 4400rpm
100mph at 4800rpm.

I will be running 16" fuchs with 195/65/16 tyres on the back. Quoted figures are from John Maher Racing gearbox calculator.

The John66 said:
Mine is a modified 002 box for my bus. Pete at cog box has built it and it should give me decent motorway cruising speed. 4.57 final drive with a 0.82 forth gear and ZF LSD. The van will be running a 2276cc which the gearbox has been tailored for.

60mph at 2900rpm
70mph at 3400rpm
80mph at 3900rpm
90mph at 4400rpm
100mph at 4800rpm.

I will be running 16" fuchs with 195/65/16 tyres on the back. Quoted figures are from John Maher Racing gearbox calculator.

Your motorway/top gear RPMs are very similar to the Porsche 901 I've got.

How do the other gears fall?

The Porsche gearbox I've got gives 3000RPM =
1st gear = 16MPH
2nd gear = 28MPH
3rd gear = 40MPH
4th gear = 50MPH
5th gear = 61MPH

It's important to consider the gaps between the gears too, although probably more so on my little 1600 engine than a stout 2276! :)
You just don't want to be revving the knackers off it in one gear to then be not revving enough in the next...

Not sure of the ratios he has used for 1 2 & 3 though I know that 1st is longer than standard and 2nd to 3rd evenly spaced. 4th is a jump, which is why he has recommended this for a stroker motor. I think 3rd to 4th would be a struggle with a standard motor.

I have a Cogbox 091 in mine too, Mainly because I know Pete and at the time Rancho boxes were tricky to get hold of here in the UK.

I would these days price wise be tempted to look at:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC300002FF/rancho-t2-freeway-flyer-002-gearbox-68-71-1-6-type-eng/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its basically an 091 in an 002 case.

If your planning on giving it serious abuse, I would go for:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC300002FFA/rancho-t2-freeway-flyer-002-gearbox-72-75-1-6-type-eng/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(This is the one Karlos has had) The only difference being it has the 'ears' on the bell housing so you can fabricate up a mid mount like the later bays have.

Remember we give forum members 5% at all times, but today we have a 10% offer running ;)

I'm running a 6 Rib with longer 3rd and 4th. Get your gearbox rebuilt by cogbox or bears with ratios to match your engine. A 6 rib gearbox in standard form was only attached to a 70 bhp motor.

Alex VW Heritage said:
I have a Cogbox 091 in mine too, Mainly because I know Pete and at the time Rancho boxes were tricky to get hold of here in the UK.

I would these days price wise be tempted to look at:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC300002FF/rancho-t2-freeway-flyer-002-gearbox-68-71-1-6-type-eng/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its basically an 091 in an 002 case.

If your planning on giving it serious abuse, I would go for:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC300002FFA/rancho-t2-freeway-flyer-002-gearbox-72-75-1-6-type-eng/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(This is the one Karlos has had) The only difference being it has the 'ears' on the bell housing so you can fabricate up a mid mount like the later bays have.

Remember we give forum members 5% at all times, but today we have a 10% offer running ;)

The box Alex sorted me is brilliant, has completely transformed my bus! It cruises at 70 @ 3100 rpm so my motor is barley on cam and therefore has many more revs to make use of.

Latest posts