Carb/Choke issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbobalero

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that the choke is never turning off even when warmed up. I have a Bocar 34 pict 3 (I know but it came with the van) and the Fast Idle cam is always in this position (not mine but a handy picture from the interwebs).

5868361b-29a0-4c3b.jpg

It doesn't matter if it is hot or cold it is always like that. I think that might explain whilst it starts fine, it also cuts out at junctions quite frequently.

The questions is what should I do about it? I don't really currently have enough cash at the minute to replace the whole thing but could have a go at taking it apart and using a refurb kit like the one from Heritage (its like £20). Is it easy-ish to do, worth doing or give up and sell my body and get a new one?

Thanks as always

Try and get the joints moving freely, you'd be amazed what a good quality lubricant can do ;) they could just be stiff and clogged up. Check the nuts and washers.

If all is then working as should when greased, get an old school mechanic to set the carbs up properly. All can be done extremely cheaply.

Hopefully it's just a minor issue and won't require dismantling! :)

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you turn your ignition on (don't have to start the engine) after a couple of minutes the coil on the right hand side of the choke should be warm. Opposite side to the photo. If so, lube the mechanism up- if not, it's either the power supply to the choke or the choke element itself.

HS is right the element coil choke is super low tech, it just heats up the coil slowly releasing the stepped arm in your photo, clean and lubricate everything, see if it's working.

If your vans not your daily driver, I'd remove the fuel line and clamp it, throttle cable, unbolt your airlifted, and undo the two nuts holding your carb on.
Once it's off you can give it a proper clean and I'd probably use Lm yes as I've loads about.
If your near Gatwick I don't mind giving you a hand, I might even have spares knocking about.

I appreciate the offer but nowhere near you I'm afraid. I might just take it off and clean it as I need to swap the manifold for one with pre-heat anyway. Seems like the ideal time to do it.

jimbobalero said:
I appreciate the offer but nowhere near you I'm afraid. I might just take it off and clean it as I need to swap the manifold for one with pre-heat anyway. Seems like the ideal time to do it.

Illustrates the difference between folks' buses ;-) For me it'd be a case of undoing the fuel line- sticking a pencil in it- and removing the 5 screws on the top of the carb, pulling the top off and just doing that bit :) making sure not to smoke.

Your way is better!

Are you covered in lube and checking your nuts yet? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts