CB Perf DRLA linkage issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loxy

Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues with the quality of the cb performance linkage?
I eventually found out that the stamped plates that fit on the throttle spindles are not a good fit and were moving causing my carbs to go out of sync.

I am now planning on reusing the original Alfa plates - however I hit a slight hitch - I can't drill a hole in them for love or money, I have managed to blunt 3 drill bits on them and still have no hint of a hole. Anyone know what they are made of?

Had some problems with my cb linkage, the ball end chewed the hex bar:

622136.jpg

So I started a good modification on it, haven't tested it yet but I think it will be smooth and indestructible 8)

I took my hex bar and drilled the original holes (don't know the diameter as it is as US measurement) of the aluminum pieces to 6.75mm to fit some bigger M8 screws to really tighten them on the hex bar.

622135.jpg

622137.jpg

I turned the M8 screws to have a conical end to turn them into pressing screws.

622142.jpg

622143.jpg

622144.jpg

After that, I bored the hex bar to fit those small bearings

035800x6009786997.jpg

622139.jpg

....and pressed them in with a small Bloc Press drop

622141.jpg

After that, I turned the ball ends shafts to the bearings inside diameter

622138.jpg

622140.jpg

I think this would have worked great, but I decided to go on another route by making my own end pieces.

622147.jpg

622146.jpg

The last modification has been the air filter base that didn't allowed to put the M8 screw, so I milled the cast rib.

622145.jpg

For your Alfa plates, take a good mechanics HSS drill not a cheap shit from a tools store .

Hope this will help you

Bye,

viNce

kombiporsche said:
Had some problems with my cb linkage, the ball end chewed the hex bar:
Hope this will help you

Nice modification there. I will keep an eye on mine and see if it starts to wear the same way.

Thanks for posting such a clear and helpful guide.

kombiporsche said:
For your Alfa plates, take a good mechanics HSS drill not a cheap shit from a tools store .

viNce

Hi Vince - They were HSS :?

I have seen your mods on here already & like them a lot. Are you planning to change the linkage plates as well or are you happy with them?
I was already planning on modifying the grub screws like you have ;)

yes done all this plus more i threw the imperial hex bar and replaced it with metric stainless fitted a treat as was slightly bigger , welded the generic holes in the filter bases and remachined them to suit the 36 dells i also made some linkage end plates that incorperate the original dell adjuster screws ,which make fine setting the linkage a doddle as your not pissing about with the left/right hand tread bits as below
100_1148.jpg

i have a sets of operating plates @£10
P1000219.jpg

100_1149.jpg

Pulled my engine out lastnight and after reading this thread i thought i'd 'just check' my CB linkage which works Weber IDF's on mine. The ball ended pivots have really worn into the holes on the carb plates :? If that gives up the ghost i'll either try a Gene Berg linkage or that new CSP hex-bar set-up.

Latest posts