Crossover Production Dates

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air Cooled Rookie

Reaction score
What month was crossover started and when did they change to the later type vans? There seem to be a lot of different months quoted on the various parts suppliers.

Also, just out of interest, does anyone know how many crossovers were made?

Thanks!

This is what is causing my confusion! Some suppliers say the last crossovers were July 72, some December 72. It may sound like a trivial point, but I've received the wrong parts twice now because of the difference in opinion of production dates.

So who on this forum has the earliest and latest built (not registered!) crossover then? Maybe that will clear things up!

I always thought it was July/August...

...after two weeks in Magaluf. :mrgreen:

My build date code is 22 5, I know the 5 is Friday but can anyone decipher the 22? cheers.

halfpint_fighter said:
All i know is that they were still making crossovers in December 1972 cos that's when mine was built!

That's interesting... A bloke down my road has a '72 built '73 model (full late bay, high indicators etc) which was built in oct '72. And is tax exempt.

I thought the changeover was August '72?

halfpint_fighter said:
All i know is that they were still making crossovers in December 1972 cos that's when mine was built!

Definitely not December '71?

Tofufi said:
halfpint_fighter said:

That's interesting... A bloke down my road has a '72 built '73 model (full late bay, high indicators etc) which was built in oct '72. And is tax exempt.

I thought the changeover was August '72?

anything after 7-72 should be full on late bay afaik. the cutoff for free road tax is 1 Jan 1973 so you could have quite a few tax free latebays

Sorry mine's not December it's....November :lol:

Just went back to my M plate thread to check build date instead of registration!
you can ask my mechanic mine is defo a crossover cos it has the awkward brakes (well not on the rear anymore)

Just had a look pretty sure yours is Nov '71 -

'72 in model year not calendar year. :wink:

Congratulations and welcome back to EarlyBay.com :lol:

have a look on the M plate the first number what is it 2 or 3?

2 then its a 72 model aug 71 to july 72
3 then its a late model aug 72 to july 73

Joval said:
Just had a look pretty sure yours is Nov '71 -

'72 in model year not calendar year. :wink:

Congratulations and welcome back to EarlyBay.com :lol:

Well blimey :shock: My camper was alive for a year before it was registered!!!

Yes Aaron the number is a 2 so it's a 72 model made in November 71.

Surely if its a 2 that means it was built in 1972 - calendar year for manufacture, if the week number starts from Jan and runs to Dec then surely the manufacture year must do as well.

Post up your full m-code plate so we can clear this up, or is there a link to a thread with it on?

Here's how I read it, correct me if I'm wrong -

Week numbers run from January on a regular calendar, 1-52

Model year begins in August of the preceeding year

so a '72 model built in week 44 means it was built in week 44 of the 1971 calendar,

not 44 of the 1972 calendar as this would be after August, and make it a '73 model.

Yeah? :lol:

Latest posts