Dizzy choice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Powerspark Replacement Electronic Distributor for Bosch SVDA Volkswagen Air cooled Engines
Or

Bosch Powerspark Electronic distributor Bus

Both are £60 ish. Top one is SVDA. Bottom is 009. I currently run a cheap points and condenser unit from GSF. It's my spare. Off to France end of sept and want reliability.

If I go for SVDA which inlet do I use on the carb? There are 3.

Any help much appreciated.

If you want reliability and great build quality have a look at the 123 ignitions.
Check them out on vintagespeeduk website.

My accuspark let me down on holiday, just brought a petronix dizzy, very impressed and runs noticeably better. I went vacuum advance rather than 009!

I have a repro SVDA with powerspark fitted, only 1000miles on the engine but is running fine

If they ever fail it'll be the module not the dizzy so just keep a spare module? At £25 ish its cheaper than a several hundred pound fancy dizzy. If you have the budget then petronix etc but if not they are fine.

If you have a standard 1600TP I wouldn't bother with 009, SVDA will run better with no flat spot.

They run sweet as well. Id never have a classic without a power or accuspark fitted now. Points are not worth the hassle.

True some do fail but Ive had several spitfires/minis running one and never had a fail. A lot happen due to incorrect wiring or faulty coils shorting them out.

And its the left port on the carb, see mine below. Don't forget to raise the tube a bit or do a loop to prevent petrol going down the hole and knacking the SVDA diaphragm. I just used 3mm vac pipe off ebay.

IIuR2FT.jpg

Another vote for the SVDA- they give much better throttle response. It might be worth keeping a spare accuspark unit or even a set of points and a condenser- but then you need a feeler gauge or dwell meter, and you have to rotate the dizzy body to fit the condenser, so you also need a way to time it, blah blah blah...
I carried a spare accuspark unit, never used it but nice to know it's there.

009 was never intended to be used on passenger cars, people use them when they have aftermarket camshfats with high overlap that causes erratic vaccum signal at idle.
If you have a stock engine or even a bigger engine with a stock/ish cam, always the vaccum will work better, save fuel and run smoother.

Abel

009's are fine on stock engines, but make sure it's a GENUINE BOSCH, it's not knackered and that the weights move and return freely. I've got an 009 on both my girlfriends stock 1200 bug and in my hi-po stroker in the bus and both have a Petronix unit in them. Bug drives perfectly smooth and returns pretty good mpg too.

I've had people come to me complaining about 009's but this has come always down to it being a moody Chinese knock off, a faulty unit and not timed correctly.

K@rlos said:
009's are fine on stock engines, but make sure it's a GENUINE BOSCH, it's not knackered and that the weights move and return freely. I've got an 009 on both my girlfriends stock 1200 bug and in my hi-po stroker in the bus and both have a Petronix unit in them. Bug drives perfectly smooth and returns pretty good mpg too.

I've had people come to me complaining about 009's but this has come always down to it being a moody Chinese knock off, a faulty unit and not timed correctly.
Got to say my experience of this differs. Had a genuine Bosch 009 fitted with a 34 pict 3. The dizzy was in perfect order moved freely etc but still had a hesitation. Changed to an SVDA and it was much better and smoother.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Latest posts