Dropping gear box oil

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am without manuals and have a whining noise from gear box. I want to check the level of the gearbox oil. I think I know how but would like to check.

I see a plug on the side of the box. I take it this is to fill. What size and what type of tool to undo this?

What oil?
GL4?

Where is the actual drain hole and again what tool?

Cheers in advance

The plug on the side is also used to check the level. Once you fill up and it starts to come out the side plug then it's full. Just make sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain so you're not left with an empty box.

Drain plug is on the end of the box and I use 80w/90 and never had problems.

I cant remember the size of the tool but someone here will tell you i'm sure.

Gearbox drain tool

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=3343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

250-dscf4826.jpg

Fill hole is on the LHS of the gearbox just around half way up with the drain hole facing the engine to the rear of the box.

Gearbox oil I have used is Castrol EP90 also available from M7

:D

not teaching you how to suck eggs but...... make sure the fill plug comes loose before you remove the drain plug :mrgreen: ask me how I found that doozie out :lol:

My box has a whine in 4th that has been there as long as we have owned the bus
Changed the oil a couple of times but nothing changed!
Will probably fit a new one after my trip to the Falklands!

Yes unfortunately replacing the gearbox oil, even if it was low before, is not going to fix a whining bearing. The best you can hope for is prolonging the point to which it fails, but whining does indicate wear nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pal had a whine from the diff in his bay and it carried on for thousands of miles.... I guess it's never the same twice but fingers crossed it's the same for you dude :mrgreen:

My gearbox has been whining and growling for the last 60,000 miles. Such noises are not neccessarily symptoms of imminent failure. A worn
mainshaft bearing seat and thrust surface at the nosecone is a very common source of gearbox noise. It's fairly easily fixable with a
reconditioned nosecone and an added steel thrust plate between the shift housing and nose cone.

Just dropped my gearbox oil, rear end was on axle stands but no more than 2.5ltrs came out, the oil was minging. Filled it up, took 3.5ltrs, should I be concerned or just monitor the garage floor for leaks?

3.5 litres is the capacity for a bus gearbox!
Must have leaked or burnt a litre over the years!
It is full now and should be absolutely fine - when I first changed my oil in the box it was horrid stuff that came out!!

Well we drove up towards Ayr last night and the van definitely felt better after the oil change. Certainly not as noisy before, well worth doing [emoji106]

Latest posts