Ducting to heat exchangers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ands1

Reaction score
I,ve had me 69 Bay 18 months (1600 single port standard engine) now & she runs no probs what so ever, I had her serviced a couple months ago by a local air cooled garage...Today I went for a ride & when I got home I opened the engine lid to make sure everything was ok, then I noticed the ducting that comes off the air filter intake goes down & under & connects on the heat exchanger? the fan tinware has no ducting connected, should this not go to the heat exchanger & the air filter one to around the cylinder head????
I checked the other side & sure enough the fan housing goes to the heat exchanger??? :?
Heater in the cab is good, if I put the one from the air filter to near the cylinder head does it have a proper housing it fits over as it looks as though theres nothing there & will it cock up my choke / idle
Cheers

Hello mate, for the hot air / heat exchangers, please see the pic of my engine below, these just go straight onto the end of the exchangers 8)

There should not be any air filter connection :shock: someone had put things in the wrong place.

PhonePic011.jpg

Hope this helps.

I sat a tried to get my head what was happening here (long day yesterday) then forgot about it for a while????

Under normal circumstances there is no ducting to the air filter although I have seen people routing hot air into the carb for obvious reasons.

It would be nice to see a few pics mate :)

I suspect someone has ballsed up here....

Honest truth lads, there is a port for a 50 mm ducting hose to connect to the standard air filter, I beleive this goes to cylinders 1 & 2 for warm air intake, there is also a spout on the air filter that stays in the engine bay also...But the 50 mm air intake was connected to my heat exchanger & the fan housing was sat open to the engine bay :shock: I think I,m all sorted now thanks

Forgot to get back to you, Yes you were quite right on the hot air feed, its been a long time since I've seen my engine compartment? let alone seen one with a standard filter arrangement, still the garage should have known better its not that difficult, so where was the fan duct ?

There was,nt any fan duct, the fan on the right hand side of the engine had no ducting connected to it, so I put one on & to the heat exchanger...Manchester to Bournemouth this weekend so fingers crossed & see how she goes....Thanks
Andy

Well I thought i,d give her a blast before the trip tommoz, so I got going on a dual carriage way & bloody hell I could,nt beleive how much better my heater was, then all of a sudden bits of rust shot out of the heater vents :shock: :) I suppose it was from the dormant heat exchanger, all rust was cleared out after 2 miles @ 60mph, so happy days, hopefully :)

Latest posts