Engine advice needed......

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr scoops

Reaction score
Help.
I don’t know what to do when it comes to the engine in my Bus. Currently it has got a stock 1584cc in there, with the only modification being a pancake filter on the carb.
I have been looking at following one of two paths and now think I’m near the junction and need to make a decision.
I have got at home the following ingredients;-
Scat C25 Cam
Scat 1.25:1 ratio rockers
Weber 34 ICT carbs with linkage etc
Bugpack Breather
69mm Counterweighted Crank (8 dowelled) - (waiting for it to be delivered but it’s en route)
8 Dowelled Flywheel (stock weight)
As41 Crankcase (waiting for it to be delivered but it’s en route)
94mm Pistons/Barrels
So, as I see it, I can either put together a nice little 1600, with the crank, cam and rocker gear giving me some more revs and some extra ponies too, bolt on the ICT’s and we’re away with a little extra power/torque, not sacrificing any reliability, OR, I can get the new case checked and machined for the 94’s, bolt everything else in there too, sell the ICT’s and then look round for some IDF’s as well as put some mild heads on there too.
I’m not looking to get into the USB, and to be honest I don’t want to throw a bucket load of money at it, I just want a couple of extra hp and torquey bits to help push the old girl along.
I know there’s no substitute for capacity etc etc but I don’t currently have hundreds and hundreds of pounds to throw at it.
So, what do you guys reckon???

Like a lot of things, when is enough,, enough ? The first one sounds very reasonable and once you start going past this point, is the reliability going to start heading south ? Hey it`s your bus and if you want your ass hanging out of the back of it a bit more then the sky is the limit, but if you want a summer of camping and chillin, stick with the first one. Anyhow, who you gonna overtake anyway besides me ???? :mrgreen:

Ozziedog :D :D :D

Hi Mate

I would use the parts you have a build a strong 1600, using the ICTs you will have a good motor. If you want to go bigger then its gonna cost you a whole load more to do it to an equivalent standard to what you already are building. Im having built a 1776 with tuned TP heads and 40 DRLAs and the difference in £££s is quite big, and im not going for anthing that is gonna set the world on fire, just 100bhp with load of torque and more importantly bullet proof reliability! Unless you want to spend £5k plus :lol:

Good luck with your decision either way.

Just

You could build a nice reliable motor with that combo inc the barrels and pistons. Doesn't have to be unreliable if its built right.

I think I'm going to shift on the spare case and the 94mm pots/barrels and use that money to get a pair of heads that will flow a bit better than stockers.
A good solid 1600 that breathes, flows and revs a bit better is what I am after.
My last two Dubs have had a 2007 and a 1776 and both went like hot snot, but that's not what I bought the bus for.
Thanks Creation and to the other people who have replied.

having walked the path of the need for speed i now run a stock 1.6 [with a flat spot issue]but thats another story ..the fuel consumption is the main cause for concern these days and your first choice seems a nice balance for cruising with fuel economy

I get better fuel economy with my 1776 than I ever did with my 1600.

vw spent several years and deutchmarks to get to the conclusion that the 1600 needed to be a bit bigger for the baywindow, they did an 1800 and the later 2000, so I'd build a good quality 1776, or a really good 1600 with decent heads and exhaust as you've mentioned. 1955cc and above are [in bus form] very capable engines but then you're into brake mods and suspension upgrades to keep it as safe as you can.
imho a 1776 [or a slightly harder to build and some say question why 1745, 76 cw crank and stock top end stuff] is the best way to keep up with modern traffic on the a roads should you so wish, but remaining within the capabilities of the stock brakes.

I have a 1745 with 36 dells and fancy heads , 4-1 exhaust using stock hex's. The whole thing has been dynamically balanced and has full flow. But I also have a speedshop gearbox which has better ratios and is slighlty stronger.
So consider the gearbox as well and the wheel tyre/combo as it isn't just about the air/fuel pump thingy......

Latest posts