Engine build help required... Machining case and heads??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazza1975

Reaction score
[*]Looking at building a new engine for my bus. Originally wanted to go all out and have a 1776 or bigger built but funds just wont allow this at the minute.

So now looking at going from a standard SP 1600 to either a 1641 or I've just found 1679cc barrels and pistons on heritages website that need no machining!

What's going to be best? Just want a reliable engine that wont break the bank that isn't struggling to get to 50!

Will an external oil filter be worth while?

Looking at spending my Christmas break held up in my Shed out the wife's way!

Options/advice on a postcard please!!

Cheers

Daz!

Honestly I would keep saving a bit longer and do it right at once or you might regret it like I did.
I had a 1641 built and it didn't do much for me, so i decided to build a 1776. So now I have paid the engine twice.

Wait, save and get a 1776. You will have a noticeable power gain and still stay reliable. A 90.5 bore is best in a bus.

1776, 110 cam, 1.25 rockers, twin 34's, stock heads and sensible compression :)

How about a good service and tune before you start spending £s on a new engine.
If you can't reach 50mph then there's something wrong.

And by the way, I'm starting to get fed up of saying this, there's nothing wrong with slip-in 88mm barrels and pistons.
I ran a 1679 for years with no problems on a daily driver bus, and I even had a 32/36 Weber fitted as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K@rlos said:

Stock heads on a 1776? That's not ging to work, they need to be machined.
Also a lot can be accomplished by flowing the heads. Costs nothing except for a few hours of work.

sparkywig said:
How about a good service and tune before you start spending £s on a new engine.
If you can't reach 50mph then there's something wrong.

The engine does 55mph and is serviced and tuned! Just takes a while to get there! don't want top speed as then i have to stop it quicker! just to get there quicker (i think that makes sense)

Problem on my current engine is end float, runs sweet but too much float. Was going to upgrade (build an spare) before this one goes plop!

I'd guess somethings not quite right to only hit 55mph.

I had a late bay with a 1600 which could do 80mph before I cooked the engine :lol:

Are you buying a new case to build the engine? If so then maybe by taking a look at an Auto Linea alluminium case instead of an AS41 could leave you with a 1776 for the same money as a 1641. This is what I did when my case split and i had to rebuild. The Auto Linea case was about £600 ready bored for the 90.5 barrels and pistons as opposed to £1k plus for the AS41 magnesium case. The whole rebuild to 1776, including machining the standard heads and an Engle 100 cam cost me about £1300.
The aluminium case is heavier than magnesium but far stronger and less flexy. At 1776 all your original tin and ancillaries will fit too...

monkiboy said:
There is ALOT more to a bus engine than CC.... I have tried to explain this before...

Here is a thread with some very well thought out answers.....

(Also stay away from "slip-in" 88's.... Way to thin for a BUS motor!)

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,21851.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link! Interesting read whilst stuck in traffic on the M25 this morning!

Problem is, it now gives me even more to think about!! :lol:

Whats the largest recommended on as a single port engine? Didn't think about new heads or tin ware etc. Starting to cost more already and i've not even started yet!

Resto-raider said:
K@rlos said:

Stock heads on a 1776? That's not ging to work, they need to be machined.
Also a lot can be accomplished by flowing the heads. Costs nothing except for a few hours of work.

Obversely they need machining.... I meant using stock heads with stock size valves off 044's or something, Jeez.

if you are going 1641cc:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Top-end-rebuild-kit-1641cc-043198002_act_shop.product_pID_181064_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We do a top end rebuild kit. :mrgreen:

dazza1975 said:
sparkywig said:
If you want to go 94mm, I've got a spare single port head already machined. :D

What happened? Did you not build your bigger engine in the end?

I certainly did, had a pair of new twinport heads donated as I went for IDF 40s instead of staying with modified 34s.
:)

sparkywig said:
dazza1975 said:
sparkywig said:
If you want to go 94mm, I've got a spare single port head already machined. :D

What happened? Did you not build your bigger engine in the end?

I certainly did, had a pair of new twinport heads donated as I went for IDF 40s instead of staying with modified 34s.
:)

mmm, shame you don't have 2!! :cry: