Engine ideas

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugsy

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking for ideas on what type/size engine to get. Possibly gettin hold of a 69 rhd tin top but no motor. I'm lookin for info and costs to get it runnin a sub 18 quarter. But also lookin for reliability :D can budget around 2k for this. Is this doable on this budget??

Chugsy

Hi mate,
good news about finding a bus at last,.............give pete a call at Funkenblitz Portsmouth, hes a top guy and knows his stuff (20 odd years experience), have a look on his website and dribble over some of the engines he has and is building at the moment,..............sorry im useless with puters so i cant put a link thingy up for his website,

.........good luck with it all ........................kev :D

Thanks kev. It's not 100% I'm havin the bus yet though. There quite a distance away from me down in Portsmouth. Any where closer to the midlands that offer something similar?

Jon

As I said at Busstopover I think you are going to struggle to do a sub 18 with a £2K budget for a motor, a set of twin carbs and linkages alone takes up £500 of your budget so that leaves £1500 for the engine, tinware and ancillaries which I think is a tall order.

Perhaps better to get an engine in to start off with and use it and then build up to a bigger engine, I still think your best bet to start with would be to pick up a new mexican engine and run that but even that will run close to £2K with all the bits.

We've got a few twin ports in at the moment and if you wanted us to put a runner in for now I'm sure we could sort something out for you to get you going, you know where are we are :mrgreen:

Hi dude you'll struggle to get a new motor to enable you to run a sub 18sec 1/4 for 2k , I'd look out for a second hand motor , some thing around 2ltr twin 44's race cam etc .I run a 2028cc motor (which is quite some in comparison with most) cost 3.5k runs 16.7 1/4. that said I wish you all the luck and hope to see you on the strip. Steve

it might be possible, my mates has aVW Ghia, runs 1/4mile in 15.4 secs, 2 litre passat engine, cost him £300 including having the adaptor plate made. Makes me smile when it blows away much more expensive cars :lol:

I paid £700 for a complete 2.2L porsche engine, complete with carbs etc. I've rebuilt it and its about to go in my bus, reckon all told its stands me at about £1500. You just have to scout around for it :mrgreen:

last week on VZI there was s a running 2.4 posrche motor for £1500, bargain!

Just keep looking and something will come up,but as others say, buy a cheap motor to get it running then surf the forums and ebay, a bargain will come if you keep looking and time is not an issue.

here's a 1914cc long block £1200
[urlhttp://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=646703][/url]

I agree with what pretty much everyone has said, it'll be tough to find anything on a 2k budget that will do what you want, I also agree that you'll be best off scouring forums for someone selling an already built engine, but i think you'll still need a minimum of £3000,

as in:

the £1500 1915cc long block above will need

tinware
alternator
ingition
exhaust
carbs

all that will be at least £1500

you'll be better off finding a turnkey engine for £3000 to £4000, even then it won't be a guarentee'd sub 18,

Heads are the most crucial part of an engine ;)

Big thanks guys for all the replies. I think going down the route of just puttin in a cheap runner for now will do and like most of you suggest then just scouting around because I'm in no rush. Viewing the bus in person tonight so I'll keep y'all updated on whether or not I go for it :D

Chugsy

Don't you hate it when someone describes something as mint when it's not! :x

Looks like my search for a bus is still on :roll:

Jon

Was it really that bad or are you getting picky :?: :?:

It wasn't even the same bus as advertised lol! Second it Looked to me like a quick blow over to make it look tidy. Rust bubbles already comin through and it hadn't even moved from out of the unit it was stored in since paint. Lots of paint runs too. I admit I am rather picky ;) but I think you have to be when it's your hard earned cash your parting with :(

Back to searching. Well patience is a virtue apparently :lol:

Chugsy said:
Don't you hate it when someone describes something as mint when it's not! :x

Looks like my search for a bus is still on :roll:
that's a really bummer. In April I hired a trailer and drove all the way to Southampton, it find out the beetle was rotten uinderneath, the photos sent where from 5 years ago :evil:

still turned out fine in the end, got a bargain locally for much less.

same here almost got stung on a vert with a badly rusted pan, it looked mint from above but underneath needed a full body-off job to put it right, i had to pay for the inspection but im glad i spent the money as i saved myself a fortune. I never ever trust ad descriptions unless they point out the bad bits.

It is a bit mad what people try an get away with. The unfortunate thing is there's someone that's gonna eventually purchase it and not realise :(

Well I've seen a couple more so there's Still some hope of maybe enjoying part of the summer yet ;)

Latest posts