Front gearshift rod connection to rear gearshift rod

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DicDoc

Reaction score
I have a 1973 crossover kombi and to refurbish the gearshift rods/bushes I had to sacrifice the front gearshift rod (it was well rusted to the rear rod). My replacement front gearshift rod has only 2 holes to take the coupling screw whereas the original rod had 3 (the one in the middle looked like it had been drilled by a previous owner). When I tried to connect up the front and rear gearshift rods today, using either of the 2 holes, I find that the gear lever socket is too far to the right or too far to the left so it is not possible to engage the gear-lever ball. I cannot find anything in Bentley’s to help me, or on the various forums (including this one). Am I missing something, being particularly stupid, or do I have to drill a 3rd hole (which doesn’t seem right)?
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
Richard

The rear shift rod changed for 1971MY (the rear coupler connection was now straight, rather than slightly angled), and the front shift rod changed for 1973MY (the bush was now a circular bush rather than a pin type).
You could have the scenario where a previous owner may have swapped the rear shift rod, or more likely, the repro parts don't fit particularly well.
It's not a biggy to redrill another hole for the coupling screw.

Thanks sparkywig. The rear rod is straight so it may be as you describe. I’ll drill a new hole to get the job done.
R

Latest posts