FS Alistair's 1970 Westy SO70 Campmobile - San Lorenzo, Cali

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!

Ride out after work to take Isla to the baby group, fitted some more to the interior, see what you think of the horn button?

IMAG5554.jpg

IMAG5550.jpg

IMAG5551.jpg

IMAG5552.jpg

Isla likes it, though she can't reach it just yet! :lol: She's 3 months old this Friday.

Cheers!

Alistair

Loving the horn push! 8)

Thumbs up from me :mrgreen:

Daughter looks like she is well loving being in the driving seat ;)

leon said:
Loving the horn push! 8)

Cheers Leon, It's the Woodstock movie logo, got it from a chap on the samba, he has lots of tiki stuff, and this one stood out for me, you can order it polished in any colour or shade on the edges.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tikiwerks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Err, excuse the cracked steering wheel :msn4:

Cheers!

Alistair

thru_a_lupe said:
Hey Alistair, just out of interest...where did you get the chrome bezels for your dials?!?

Hi Jon,

Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T2-CAMPER-BUS-BAY-CHROME-DIAL-RINGS-SURROUNDS-67-79-/300404037718?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f179d856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tuning-shop.co.uk/camper-6779-chrome-dial-surrounds-gauge-rings-p-170.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice ain't they? Really brighten it up. A bit of a technique to fit, didn't do the middle one that well, but it's fine. Matches the radio surround, and very nearly looks "sporty" :lol:

Cheers!

Alistair

gninnam said:
Thumbs up from me :mrgreen:

Daughter looks like she is well loving being in the driving seat ;)

Hi!

She does :D she loves looking up at the artwork on the ceiling - she's always giggling and looking up at the roof.
That is when she isn't asleep. It's great for her to nod off. :lol:

Cheers!

Alistair

Hi!

Been changing the oil and sump plate, ready to fit the new oil temp sensor and guage, and noticed apart from the fact that i needed some new nuts, now fitted, is that some of the sump plate studs seem to be a little short - to the extent that i cant fit the nuts on with the sealing washer?

Any ideas on what's going on here?

IMAG5578.jpg

IMAG5579.jpg

Also bought gen VW drive shafts complete, and new bolts. My old ones have stopped making the noise, so think they are just dry, the old boots are split, so to save hassle, bought new kit. Should hopefully not need to worry for a very long time.

IMAG5581.jpg

IMAG5580.jpg

Noticed that the new boots dont seem to be rubber, seem to be a bit more rigid, maybe soft plastic?

Also, where can you get replacement sock absorber bushes? My old dampers which are perfectly serviceable, have worn rubber bushes. Does anyone do 2 piece urethane bushes? I guess the one piece ones are difficult to get back in again?

IMAG5582.jpg

Cheers!

Alistair

aogrady said:
Hi!

Been changing the oil and sump plate, ready to fit the new oil temp sensor and guage, and noticed apart from the fact that i needed some new nuts, now fitted, is that some of the sump plate studs seem to be a little short - to the extent that i cant fit the nuts on with the sealing washer?

Any ideas on what's going on here?
Alistair

Hi Alistair,
You could replace them for longer ones but otherwise leave the washers and put a little liquid gasket at the bottom of the nuts.

Cheers, Harry

Dirty Harry said:
aogrady said:
Hi!
Hi Alistair,
You could replace them for longer ones but otherwise leave the washers and put a little liquid gasket at the bottom of the nuts.

Cheers, Harry

Hi DH, thats a good idea. Think that sounds better than trying to get the studs out, i noticed that the large gaskets on the plate were quite a bit thinner than the other spare sets i had. Reckon if i used the thicker ones i may not even have got them on. Do the stubs just screw into the case? Would i get them out with mole grips?

Cheers!

Alistair

The stubs are screwed in with locktite, to remove them just srew 2 nuts (firm) on top of each other on the stub and screw them out .
You might need a little help from a blowtorch to weaken the locktite from the stubs.
But be carefull, i would go for the thinner gaskets combined with some liquid gasket.

Good luck, Harry

Hi!

Right, gave up doing the driveshafts as they were differant bolts on 1 cv, so need more tools. Question, what splined tool do i need? Are they Torx?

So decided to drill holes (I hate drilling holes) and fit the bamboo shelves, with my little helper

IMAG5605.jpg

IMAG5606.jpg

IMAG5609.jpg

IMAG5608.jpg

Also, fitted some new handles 8)

IMAG5600.jpg

IMAG5601.jpg

And here are the light cover grills - looking for some yellow ones, so may change these, they are only chrome, so are developing some patina already! :roll:

IMAG5610.jpg

Cheers!

Alistair

Hi!

A few updates, fitted a Bluebird Customs middle seat, quick service, but fitting was awful, I had to file the holes to get it to fit. Now I know there much be some tolerance in the build in the factory, either that or the seat just wasn't finished right? What should have been a quick job, took bloody ages. Anyway, pictures below:

IMAG5898.jpg

You can see how far out the bolts were

IMAG5899.jpg

IMAG5900.jpg

Just got a temporary finish on the seat, a Mexican blanket folded over. Will need to do some adjusting to the placement of the foam.

IMAG6004.jpg

Retro!

Always scored a Jalousie inner window seal, just the one mind, but it's a start!

IMAG5972.jpg

And found a set of Lucas yellow headlamp covers, these are mint, and also come with a spot light cover, I haven't ever seen one of these before?

IMAG5985.jpg

IMAG5984.jpg

These have a metal hook on some velcro which is designed to hook onto the headlamp rim, but does look rather fiddly.

I also have found (good old Ebay!) some vintage 7" Lucas headlamp lenses, again dome type, and will try to fit these to my replacement repro halogen units i have in the garage, and probably sell on the new style crystal headlights.

headlights.jpg

Next up - 8 track stereo and speakers. I have a NOS boxed one (now for sale :msn4: ) which I had fitted, only loosely and never actually wired in or used, it just sat there - but I felt it was a little to modern looking, and wanted one with a little more chrome, found this one with matching speakers - wired it all up, and sounds pretty good, until it ate my Beatles - St Peppers album..... :evil: Not too sure if it was the tape or some adjustment on the heads or suchlike, shame it didn't chew up the Carpenters cassette i have, never mind, no accounting for taste I guess..... :lol:
I do kinda like the mellow slightly foggy sound of a ancient 8 track, the small speakers don't sound actually as crap as i thought they would, and look, well, nice and retro, and I do like a bit of retro!

IMAG6001.jpg

IMAG6002.jpg

IMAG6003.jpg

Jury still out on the seat cover though....I actually bought 4 as they were cheap, so got 3 spare now! :lol:

And finally, I have a few Mooneyes bits, this grill badge

IMAG6005.jpg

Also got a few stickers, keyring and some number plate bolts.

It should be going into the bodyshop - Beetlebank VW Restoration in Westward Ho! which is just down the road. It;ll have the accident damage to the rear corner fixed eventually, it has been nearly a year since the shunt, but have patiently waiting for Carl to get space, as he is currently working on another forum members resto, mine has been on the back burner, which is cool, I don't mine as i know he will do a great job, and get a little extra done whilst he has it in - I'll be a very happy bunny indeed if he can work his magic!

IMAG5617.jpg

You can see where it has had some previous bondo in the States, there is no holed rust, even round the battery tray which is rusty, but as this got shunted in, it;ll be repaired.

IMAG5614.jpg

IMAG5616.jpg

Just sorting out the paint, the L87 Pearle White 1970 westy colour seems a little dark on the colour chip chart, we may have to get it tinted. Could just be a mismatch of 40 year old colour chart, and 40 year old pain on the bus! Will be getting new rear bumper, bumper iron fixed, overiders fixed, new overrider rubbers, battery tray and both rear corners sorted and painted, and engine lid hinge area and rear valance straightened and painted. Later on in the year will see some more paint on the engine lid, as this wasn't damaged in the accident, but had been replaced in the States before it came over, it was red, now white not a great match. May even fit a parted out Pearle White lid if i can find a tidy one, will save me getting it dent free and painted - anyone got one spare? :msn4:

Anyway, that's the latest updates, will post up more pictures once i have them of the bodywork progress.

Cheers!

Alistair

Those yellow covers are very cool indeed! Have been looking around for them some time too. Since I haven't found them yet I bought a set of yellow H4 bulbs in Ninove, looks good enough for now. 8)

The horn button is awesome too! And where did you get the door pulls?

Good luck with the repair of the rear.

Some nice accessories you have added - especially the 8 track 8)

Remember when a mate of mines dad bought a stereogram with an in built 8 track and we were listening to Pink Floyd and thought it was the dogs :D

Looking forward to the body work updates ;)

Hi!

Yeah, i am pleased with the covers, and they were really cheap too - ebay is your friend! Oh, the yellow bulbs sound nice actually. The Lucas headlamp lenses i got have the same pattern on the glass, think these will look cool as!

The horn button was off The Samba, and the handle pulls i got from a forum member, but you can buy them new here:

http://www.mcjproducts.com/7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, fingers crossed with the bodywork - i reckon it'll look good, though the engine lid will then be a shade wrong, as when the corners were painted in the USA it looks like it has been painted in maybe Lotus White, it's a greenier shade than the original colour, if i can find a good used pearle white engine lid, would save hassle of a paint job, at least that's the theory.

Cheers!

Alistair

Airtime said:
Those yellow covers are very cool indeed! Have been looking around for them some time too. Since I haven't found them yet I bought a set of yellow H4 bulbs in Ninove, looks good enough for now. 8)

The horn button is awesome too! And where did you get the door pulls?

Good luck with the repair of the rear.

Cheers!

Think I'm gonna be on ebay getting some 8 track carts - there's loads on there, I missed a Beach Boys - Surfs Up! 8 track, I'm sure there will be more.

Think I'll start another thread - "What 70's band would you buy on 8 track?"

Creedance Clearwater Revival?
Pink Floyd?
Rolling Stones?
Beatles?
Captain Beefheart?
Hendrix?

I may well start a little collection now!

Cheers!

Alistair

gninnam said:
Some nice accessories you have added - especially the 8 track 8)

Remember when a mate of mines dad bought a stereogram with an in built 8 track and we were listening to Pink Floyd and thought it was the dogs :D

Looking forward to the body work updates ;)

Latest posts