FS Alistair's 1970 Westy SO70 Campmobile - San Lorenzo, Cali

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alistair, got a few questions about your fridge set up if you don't mind.
When you're driving is. Your fridge running or does it switch to a 'cool box' mode like my parents motorhome (they flick a switch when driving and it keeps things cool but isn't on as such)
Since installing how've you found the cr50? This is the fridge I think I'll be getting and installing in the same way as you.

Cheers
Paddy

Supertramp said:
When you're driving is. Your fridge running or does it switch to a 'cool box' mode like my parents motorhome (they flick a switch when driving and it keeps things cool but isn't on as such)
Since installing how've you found the cr50? This is the fridge I think I'll be getting and installing in the same way as you.

Cheers
Paddy

Hi,

The fridge runs off the leisure battery, so when running has, the T Max split charger topping it up, when stationary, the battery is topped up with the 80W solar panel on the roof, and uses the leisure battery when no sun or running.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-Max-Digital-Split-Charge-Relay-Dual-Battery-System-/110828967152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The CR50 is a compressor fridge, (same as your fridge at home), once is has reached temperature it switches off. It's a variable speed compressor, you can adjust the wiring IIRC, to keep it on a low speed all the time, and you can also rig it to just use the solar panel.

Compressor Tech Specs:

http://www.ra.danfoss.com/TechnicalInfo/Literature/Manuals/06/BD35-50F_101N0210-20-40_0300-20_08-2011_dehcei100b602.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Compressor Solar Tech Spec:

http://www.ra.danfoss.com/TechnicalInfo/Literature/Manuals/06/bd35f-bd35k_solar_electronic_unit_101n0400_10-45vdc_08-2011_dehcei100i602.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it runs as normal, i.e, on all the time electric wise, and the compressor cycles on and off when the unit requests cooling, i dont adjust it as a cool box, just treat it as a normal fridge. As the CR50 has a ice box, it would turn on and off as needed.

It's a proper 12V compressor, Danfoss, doesn't use a lot of juice, average 40W, and is proper tropical marine spec, so will run at high ambient temps, and still maintain -18 in the freezer, and who doesn't want cold ciders and ice cream? ;) :lol:

http://www.waecofridges.co.uk/cr50.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use my bus most days, but only use the fridge if we are going away. Being a insulated box, it'll retain cool well

Let me know if you have any more questions

Alistair

aogrady said:
Supertramp said:

Cheers
Paddy

Hi,

The fridge runs off the leisure battery, so when running has, the T Max split charger topping it up, when stationary, the battery is topped up with the 80W solar panel on the roof, and uses the leisure battery when no sun or running.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-Max-Digital-Split-Charge-Relay-Dual-Battery-System-/110828967152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The CR50 is a compressor fridge, (same as your fridge at home), once is has reached temperature it switches off. It's a variable speed compressor, you can adjust the wiring IIRC, to keep it on a low speed all the time, and you can also rig it to just use the solar panel.

Compressor Tech Specs:

http://www.ra.danfoss.com/TechnicalInfo/Literature/Manuals/06/BD35-50F_101N0210-20-40_0300-20_08-2011_dehcei100b602.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it runs as normal, i.e, on all the time electric wise, and the compressor cycles on and off when the unit requests cooling, i dont adjust it as a cool box, just treat it as a normal fridge. As the CR50 has a ice box, it would turn on and off as needed.

It's a proper 12V compressor, Danfoss, doesn't use a lot of juice, average 40W, and is proper tropical marine spec, so will run at high ambient temps, and still maintain -18 in the freezer, and who doesn't want cold ciders and ice cream? ;) :lol:

http://www.waecofridges.co.uk/cr50.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use my bus most days, but only use the fridge if we are going away. Being a insulated box, it'll retain cool well

Let me know if you have any more questions

Alistair

Cheers for all that. Just what I needed. Going to start looking for the best places to buy.

Cheers for all that. Just what I needed. Going to start looking for the best places to buy.

I updated a link above for running the Danfoss compressor solely on solar, the electronics will handle from 12-45V, perfect for solar.

Mine was from here IIRC:

http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think i paid about that....was a while back.

One thing, most importantly, you NEED thick cable, really, not because it pulls so much current, it doesn't, about 1.2aH, but to minimise voltage drop, the compressor wont start till it has 11.7V, if you cable run from the back to the front is long, which it will be, and you use too thin cable, you wont get 12+V so it won't even start. Once running it has low voltage switch off at 10.4V.

So thick cable, i think i posted quite a few links when i fitted mine with calculators to work out cable length versus voltage versus voltage drop. Something like 6mm+ needed, i'm going redo mine when I eventually get around to re-wireing the T Max, the solar set up, and the marine switch bank and battery isolators. I have a length of good 15mm2 cable, more than enough, but can use this as a hub to branch off other stuff.....maybe... :lol:

Alistair

Hi,

Well, that time of the year, MOT, so checked the basics, and off we went.....

Good news, passed with no problems, same as last year, though the test was eventful for other reasons.....every time i dont fill the washer bottle with air, as it leaks air after some time, so normally borrow the airline at the mot place to fill, same again this year , quick one second burst of air was enough to keep the mot man happy, nice water burst up the screen..........followed a few minutes later with a hissing and water noise, and fluid pissing out the bottom......so that'll be the bottle or hoses gone then.... :roll:

Broke the brake test switch faffing with the heating control.... :roll:

And to top it all, i had to replace the drivers side wing mirror for the mot as i broke the glass some time back, scraping it backwards on the house wall reversing it out from under the house (twice!)

So - MOT now in hand, just reverse off the rollers, just in, belt up, shut door - crash! Fecking glass fell out of the crap GS wing mirror and shattered on the floor..... :roll: :evil: Crap pattern parts!

Put the old broken one back on, so looking for another OG drivers mirror please. :msn4:

Anyway, at least i have 12 months MOT, so made up some nice leather tie backs for the rear tailgate curtains :D

Cheers!

Alistair

Looks great the leather tie backs!
Haha the usual stress with repro parts... look at the bride side MOT is in the pocket 8)

Hi!

Cheers guys, happy with the MOT, the others bits were just laughable :roll: I had been thinking about converting it to electric screen wash, maybe now's my chance seeing that's it's broke!

Yeah, pleased with the leather tie backs on the curtains, need to man up and drill the holes for the other tie backs, Dirty Harry very kindly supplied me with pictures for the tie back placement :D

Other news, seeing it was a nice day, we all went out to the beach for the day, lovely sunshine, I thought thr solar panel will be working well.....and....nothing, regulator not working, only showing 11.1V... :( Had to wait till we got home later to have a faff with it, disconnect and re-connect wires (which are going to be all redone sometime), and it now works again. Not too sure if it was a poor connection, or just wanted a reboot...

Happy days, everything working again, oil leak next maybe????

Cheers,

Alistair

who? said:
Great stuff Al !

We are popping up to Wooly for the bank holiday so I will keep a look out for ya.

Matt

;) Might be around home in Barnstaple, not too sure where we are going over the Bank Holiday, you're more than welcome for a brew if you are coming through Barnstaple on the way back to Zummerset....

Missed catching up last time you were over!

Cheers,

Alistair

:roll: :evil:

Broke down yesterday on our holiday to Newquay, only got 40 miles from home before the front wheel bearing collapsed, fine for the MOT the previous week :roll: ...rang DAS Breakdown, as part of the Cherished Insurance package, (which i renewed a few weeks back) I advised that I required a flatbed, and we had very young children, was treated quickly, and escalated to the 1st available, which was a AA truck.

Shame little Billy enjoyed the journey so much he screamed all the way back home.....oh the joys.......over 60 mins before he tired himself out. Bless...it's hard work being 19 months old.

The AA man was very patient and professional, not a word was said....but i bet he was screaming under his breath...

No problem with the DAS service, it covers only 1 onward journey, the AA man kindly dropped of the bus at Restohaus, and dropped us off home, which was only down the road...

I had rang Bob at 7pm (the owner of Restohaus) and he kindly rang me back a few mins later, and he arranged for me to drop the bus off that evening in the yard, and he would arrange for it to be looked at as soon as he could, Richard the mech rang me just after lunch to say he would bring the bus back, new wheel bearings fitted, back to normal.

So a big thanks to Restohaus for the very prompt service as usual...... :D

Linda (and me) not feeling the love for the campervan at the moment....was very close to being up for sale.......and to be honest, if someone came along with money, I'd be tempted :? Though i am sure the love will return, not too sure on the other half though.... :cry:

Alistair

gninnam said:
Not a great story and feel for you :(

Thanks, I stopped pretty quickly, as i feared it was a return of "You picked a fine time to leave me Loose Wheel..." but luckilly not.

It's home again now, and i've picked up my bottom lip a little now, though I need to faff with the gears, 1st and 2nd are tricky...oh and adjust the brakes, but need browny points from a failed holiday attempt, so might have a day out tomorrow instead :msn4: Anyway a little sun on the solar, and yet another trip for shopping charged up the leisure battery from running the propex, fridge and DVD player last night, so at least we had stuff to entertain the kids, and food, heat and cold ciders - shame the grown ups were to grouchy to enjoy them....

Annoyingly, I really fancy a engine upgrade......Linda doesn't need to know that though.........

Seeing Creationblue's new engine swap hasn't helped either....... ;) :lol: :msn4: :shock:

Cheers dude,

Alistair

Whow... think that was scary with your previous adventure in mind!!
I fell completly in love again after my drive to the barndoor gathering and maybe i pull the van out of the for sale section and do our house improvements much later and who knows if we still want them :lol:
So my advice to you is, don't do it, keep the van!!

Dirty Harry said:
Whow... think that was scary with your previous adventure in mind!!
I fell completly in love again after my drive to the barndoor gathering and maybe i pull the van out of the for sale section and do our house improvements much later and who knows if we still want them :lol:
So my advice to you is, don't do it, keep the van!!

Cheers DH,

I had a few little jobs to do, and want to adjust the brakes later if the weather holds. Just a bit down on it at the moment, even if I did sell it dunno what would replace it with, though would be nice to have the space back in the garage

Only a temporary blip I'm sure. Your bus on the other hand is amazing, that really would be a struggle to replace, though the liberation of money is always a tempting thought.

Cheers

Alistair

robins said:
yeah keep the van mate ;)

Thanks Rich,

It'll stay, anyway, need to change the fuel line and tidy up the solar wiring if it was up for sale....I would want it right for somebody, but as I'm a fussy sod, I'd probably never get around to it!

Cheers

Alistair

Hi,

I've had a few days off work, so have done a few odds and ends

Drained and changed the gearbox oil, easy enough job - checked the fill bung would remove first, and oil came out, guess it had been overfilled?,

anyway, drained all out, and used this tool to refill:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280964956584?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used the GL4 spec EP80, and the old oil was dark brown in colour, the new was a golden colour, i guess the old had been in for a very very long time....Checked and topped up he steering box, about a inch or so from the top.

Bought a new square shifter bush, the urethane type, didn't get time to do this as well, another day.

I also removed the gear stick, cleaned and lubricated up the spring and the ball end part, and refitted, now with new fluid etc, the change is noticeably smoother, should improve with the new bush too.

Treated the gearstick to a new gear knob and extension:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190864946430?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adjusted brakes and handbrake, still need to tweak a bit more though, think i need some new rear drums as there is a tight spot, so i think they are not 100% round...

New aerial fitted, new sliding door seal all done, , cheated and cut it, now even tighter to close, but i have a little mod which will help closure.....hopefully

I have been meaning to remove the front OG badge and repaint as it has been rusty for a long while now....so with this in mind, i opted for a colour change, the same as the sidestep, Ford Roman Bronze Metallic.

Here is the work so far

And this is the front panel minus badge

Note the extra holes left by the PO who had fitted a spare wheel carrier, and drilled extra holes as well, about 11 pop rivets IIRC....I'll treat these again, and blob some sealer in the hole. If i ever decide to redo the front panel, (which would mean a repaint on the bumper - but loose all the patina) then i can do it all again then.

Sanded it all down, not 100% but was a quick job, primer, and sanded ready for top cot

First coat

5 coats in total, (probably too many), used a whole rattle can on it

As alway with these things, a fly decided to fall onto it...more sanding when dry......then a few coats of lacquer. I'll redo the sidestep end pieces too, a few stone chips and marks..

You may have noticed the large piece of Celotex in the first picture (scroll back up) well, this is for the engine bay roof, to which I'll fit the Firetec system pipework to...

Hopefully more tomorrow!

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi,

Fitted the badge, waiting a few days to build up the side step and refit...paint still soft...

Been poorly for 3 days, nothing done, but went out and saw 60W with a 4+amp charge from the solar panel, which was nice! ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

Latest posts