Gear change..should I buy...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bushes and rear coupling first, then get the fancy bits afterwards. Unless you just 'want' the shifter etc.

Just don't want to waste time faffing about if I end up getting the shifter anyway. At the minute every junction is a nightmare and the Mrs won't come out in it again till it is sorted.

Change the bushes and adjust it up and it should be fine. New shifters can make shifting nicer but wont correct the basic faults caused by wear and tear.

Clem said:
Change the bushes and adjust it up and it should be fine. New shifters can make shifting nicer but wont correct the basic faults caused by wear and tear.

Ok will give it a go. Is it easy to do?

Mine has gone from woeful to near perfect just with standard equipment by adjusting the plates in the cab floor. Just slacken off the two bolts, move the plates about, nip up, trial and error, job done. I won't say 5 minutes (realistically, there is no such thing as a 5 minute job!!) but probably 30 mins had it sorted.

Total expenditure was £0.00 !

Dickie524 said:
Mine has gone from woeful to near perfect just with standard equipment by adjusting the plates in the cab floor. Just slacken off the two bolts, move the plates about, nip up, trial and error, job done. I won't say 5 minutes (realistically, there is no such thing as a 5 minute job!!) but probably 30 mins had it sorted.

Total expenditure was £0.00 !
Yeah I found this which might be worth a go first.

:)

I fitted the EMPI quick shift kit and that plus some adjusting and it seems to have made a huge difference. Actually drivable now and no accidental reverse selection.

Happy days

Also check your adjustment on the clutch cable if you havnt already done so as can also effect gaer selection and quite easy to do!

hi, I changed the little plastic bush at the front shift rod and it went from terrible crunchy guesswork to super silky smooth.....I cant believe what a difference that small plastic thingymabob made :D
I'd do this first before spending out on a shifter as its a cheap part.

.................kev

Latest posts