Gearbox upgrade in 69

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
Hello strangers!

So, I'm looking at upgrading the box in my 69, but told the gearbox mount limits my options to reworking my existing box. But I know lots of you are running 5 rib boxes etc

U guys know the score, please fill me in on options

baron said:
Hello strangers!

So, I'm looking at upgrading the box in my 69, but told the gearbox mount limits my options to reworking my existing box. But I know lots of you are running 5 rib boxes etc

U guys know the score, please fill me in on options

You can run any box you like just depends on how much you want to alter things,

most people run 091 6 rib boxes (£600 to £700 second hand and untested) as they have better ratio's, but you need to look at input shaft lengths and starter motors too, as for the mounts early boxes have front mounts but no mounts on the engine end, the later boxes have the similar front mounts but mount up in front of the engine.

The easiest way to get a realiable box without any messing about is to either have your box rebuilt (£700 to £1200) with longer ratio's or buy a rancho freeway flyer type box (£1200), which already has bigger ratio's.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Rancho-T2-Freeway-Flyer-002-Gearbox-Inc%C2%A3350-S-Chg_act_shop.product_pID_71864255_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps a little.

I got a Late 2.0L 6rib box, and payed £500 untested, but it was a bit of a pain to fit as the input shaft needed shortening and the casting on the cone was thicker than on an earlier box so needed some work ect so the starter would engage properly, all doable but bear the work in mind, as they dont always just slot in. The 4th ratio is great for motorway driving but there is a long way between 2rd & 3rd so may not suit all engines. I got a 1776 with twin 40IDFs and on a hill loaded up with trailor i sometimes could do with a 2.5 gear :lol:

Just

I'm looking to fit 1776 with prog carb.

Ta for the advice, much appreciated.

I plan on fitting an 091 diff into a 002 box. That way I'll have the taller ratios but won't have the starter and mount issues which Alex mentioned. Although this won't be done till my 2110 is built.

The 002 & 091 have more or less the same gear ratios it's just the final drive which is different.

You could always 1302/1303 beetle box but the conversions kit are some what difficult to get ATM I believe.

Latest posts