HELP!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistachio

Reaction score
right where do i start? this morning i decided to adjust the valves, as my van is misfiring. removed the distributor cap, turned the engine until the arm pointed at the notch on the case. this pointed at about 2 o'clock not 4 o'clock where it should be. so i removed the spark plug from piston #1. placed a screw driver in the hole and turned the engine until the driver was pushed out and the distributor arm was at 4 o'clock and the notch on the crank shaft pulley was at the top in line with the split in the casing. i then loosened the distributor case and moved it inline with the arm. then adjusted the valves on piston #1, turned the engine counter clockwise 180o, adjusted #2, turned the engine counter clockwise 180o and adjusted #3, turned the engine counter clockwise 180o and adjusted #4.

as i had moved the distributor case the leads were in the wrong order, so i moved them to- bottom right #1 bottom left #4 top left #3 top right #2. put everything back together, turned the key...... nothing! the engine is turning over but wont strike. checked all the leads, nothing :evil:

if anyone has any idea was gone wrong i would be grateful.

thanks dave.

When setting valves the rotor arm should only be 90 degrees from number one cylinder to get to number 2 (anti clock wise).

I think its just a case of going through the valve setting again, number one first, the 90 degrees counter clock wise to number 2, etc. Also check that you leads are on in the correct order. Turn engine over till rotor arm on dissy point to the notch on the egde of the dissy body this will be number one lead the counter clock wise 2, 3, and 4.

You may find you will need to get a strobe to tune the dissy after this, if it wont start try gradual turning the dissy counter clock wise or clock wise till you get it running then strobe it to get it running sweet.

Find TCD on number one again so that the notch on the pully lines up with the crank case split and see where the rotor arm is pointing if its not at the notch on the dissy body the dissy drive has been put in the case incorrectly, this wont stop you getting it running correctly you will just need to mark where the new number one TCD position is.

It sounds like your engine was running okish but has developed a bit of a misfire prior to the changes you made?
If so put it back to exactly how it was with the dizzy at 2 oclock & the leads where they were on the dizzy cap - I suspect that the #1 lead was located at the 2 oclock position on the dizzy cap as well? Then perform valve clearances, points, timing etc again.

Not all dizzys are setup the way the books will have you believe with #1 at 4 oclock, mine isn't and is setup as you have described above.
Alternatively it is possible that someone has installed the dizzy driveshaft in the wrong location - but doing the above should also correct for this if it was running reasonably before.

You also need to ensure that you have found TDC on #1 when both valves on #1 are closed (I suspect you didn't when checking) ;)

Loxy said:
It sounds like your engine was running okish but has developed a bit of a misfire prior to the changes you made?
If so put it back to exactly how it was with the dizzy at 2 oclock & the leads where they were on the dizzy cap - I suspect that the #1 lead was located at the 2 oclock position on the dizzy cap as well? Then perform valve clearances, points, timing etc again.

Not all dizzys are setup the way the books will have you believe with #1 at 4 oclock, mine isn't and is setup as you have described above.
Alternatively it is possible that someone has installed the dizzy driveshaft in the wrong location - but doing the above should also correct for this if it was running reasonably before.

You also need to ensure that you have found TDC on #1 when both valves on #1 are closed (I suspect you didn't when checking) ;)

yeah it was running, but misfiring, popping and farting, when i put my foot down it would just hold back and back fire.
i'll have a go at putting it back as it was but that means i've adjusted the valves at the wrong point (what i mean is if i've adjusted the valves when the dizzy arm is at 4 o'clock not 2 o'clock, should i readjust them? if you understand that then well done!

thanks for the advice

pistachio said:
but that means i've adjusted the valves at the wrong point

Thats what I was thinking, might be worth establishing exactly what dizzy you have (post the number up here & I'm sure someone can give you more info) & when #1 really is at TDC then go from there.

It might also be worth checking the location of the offset slot in the dizzy driveshaft once at TDC (by removing the dizzy & looking down the hole), it should be 90degrees out from the crankcase split with the slot closest to the rear of the van.

Loxy said:
If it helps my dizzy is a SVDA (single vacuum dual advance) dizzy from a 72 AD code engine part number 211 905 205S.

my dizzy dosen't have a vacuum. it looks like a bosch 009. if that helps.

pistachio said:
Loxy said:
If it helps my dizzy is a SVDA (single vacuum dual advance) dizzy from a 72 AD code engine part number 211 905 205S.

my dizzy dosen't have a vacuum. it looks like a bosch 009. if that helps.

I believe some 009s (all?) are known to come with the notch at 2 oclock - perhaps someone else can confirm as its been a long time since I fitted an 009 ;)

Id start from scratch.

establish TDC on #1 piston and check that inlet and zaust valves are shut. (I know you have altered those aswell but if you watch them you will see if they are moving out of the suck squeeze bang blow sequence)

Then set the dizzy so that the lines match on rotor arm and body (forget the 4 o'clock thing, someone may have removed the dizzy drive shaft at some point and not refit it correctly. dont try and sort that either as you may drop the shims under it in the engine and all hell may break loose!!)

Then re-set your leads in the correct order on the dizzy (never can remember the firing order :oops: always look at the dynamo stand :lol: 1-4-3-2??)

Then re-check the valves remembering the firing order.

From here the engine will need re-timing but should run. I fit doesnt something else is a miss. Is the original miss fire not just a case of points needing adjusting.

Hope this helps.

Ash.

IT LIVES!!! the timing was well out! reset the timing, went back over the valves just to double check. turned the key and hay presto! runs like a dream, no more farting and misfiring! :mrgreen:after resetting the timing that notch did end up back at the 2 o'clock position. :roll:
thank you all for your help :D

Latest posts