how do i rebuild front brake calipers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flynster

Reaction score
i have removed said items and need to rebuild them , how do i push the pistons out so i can clean and replace rubber etc...the calipers are in half at the moment, is it a case of putting the two halves back together then somehow pumping them apart? how do i atrtach said pump if this is the case?

cheers all
or can i buy later calipers new that would fit the discs or would i also have to replace the discs to later ones too?

As far as I can remember I've seen a garage that I used to use, removed the pistons with an air line. If your replacing the pistons for new ones us a pair of grips.

Caboose said:
As far as I can remember I've seen a garage that I used to use, removed the pistons with an air line. If your replacing the pistons for new ones us a pair of grips.

i did`nt know you could replace pistons........where can i get some from?

ooro said:
i have removed said items and need to rebuild them , how do i push the pistons out so i can clean and replace rubber etc...the calipers are in half at the moment, is it a case of putting the two halves back together then somehow pumping them apart? how do i atrtach said pump if this is the case?

cheers all
or can i buy later calipers new that would fit the discs or would i also have to replace the discs to later ones too?

I have 71 calipers on mine too, sure the fitting kit here will allow later calipers to fit the earlier discs
http://www.justkampers.com/shop/t2-bay-window/top-and-bottom-bushes-set-for-caliper-kit-j12624-j12627.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

airline is the best way - I put o-rings on a dustgun nozzle as this helps seal - although if yours are stuck in when it's in 2 halves you may have issues....

I put mine back together, reattached them to the bus without the pads and applied the brakes a few times, and hey presto.

i use an old brake line and screwed it onto an air gun hey presto a new tool for the box i didnt replace my pistons i jus got a dremal with a stainless steel wire wheel on it to all the rust luckily i didnt have any pits of rust all they do here in the states is replace stuff they dont fix anything such as gear boxes NO ONE gets into em an fixes em they spend hundreds of dollars on a 15 dollar an up to 6 hour job!!

Latest posts