Huey - RHD Single Cab

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How rude :lol:

Got my relays in, 68 to 70 my arse!
19032008.jpg

So I've got some lights
19032008004.jpg

And instead of being ripped off for some gash generic washer bottle and electric pump I've converted the original bottle with a motor and push button for a tenner.
19032008001.jpg

And some proof that its alive, running dog rough though due to the squiffy carb

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
nice job on the washer, did you get the pump from somewhere like maplins?

Got it from our local motor factors, its just a "universal washer pump".
The switch is a "starter/horn push button switch"
I took a 12v live feed from a spare terminal on the back of the fusebox, its above the feed to the wipers, so my washers and wipers are on the same fuse.

Did balls up slightly though, had done a pump and hose replacement to a customers van earlier so was rushing mine as I knew what I was doing, however I couldn't work out why I had water coming out the pump, but not out the jets, so cleaned all the jets, tried the hoses with the washers off and still had nothing, checked the t piece for leaks, still nothing.....

...Then twigged that the stock washer button was still linked in on the wiper switch :oops: :lol:

hasthespaz said:
Mmm the sweet sound of air-cooled engines.. has huey got a frog in his throat? :lol:

He does sound dog rough bless him, carb is squiffy and timing needs doing but obviously can't be done until he idles without cutting out!

Going to strip and clean the carb and see how I get on

He's going to sound rather beefy though thanks to the aussie cherry bomb or "ASBO Exhaust" as I call them :lol:
Tempted to modify it a bit too but we'll see :wink:

Had some more progress over the weekend, stripped and rebuilt the carb and the prognosis is that its well and truly screwed. The brass collar that the volume control screw threads into fell out and appeared to have been previously bodged in place with a ton of silicone sealant :shock:
So rebuilt it and whacked it on just to check and as I thought there was no way it could be set up.
Luckily, having a workshop full of vans to play with I could quickly borrow a carb so I could set the timing. The exhaust appears to be backfiring on the manifold at the heads, so I think I'm going to cut the manifold off my old monza four tip, it will also allow me to use the carb pre heaters.

Overhauled and adjusted the brakes as well, was a great relief to see that the drums were in perfect condition and there was plenty of meat left on the pads. Just need to adjust the hand brake now and thats the brakes all sorted. On my brief roll up and down the road with the borrowed carb it didn't pull to either side under braking so I think we're onto a winner.

Don't think I'm going to make volksworld now due to the short week
:cry:

Still on the lookout for a decent carb.....

Right bit more progress.
Pulled the wires out the back of the fusebox and linked them to the relays rather than having them dangling.
Finished and fitted the bracket for the washer button. The extra hole is where the spotlamp switch will mount in the future
27032008001.jpg

Bought some bits at volksworld, cab door rain deflectors, some nice wing mirrors from custom and commercial and a quick shift kit. Took the gearstick off to fit it and discovered the reason why I was having trouble finding gears
01042008.jpg

Picked a carb up on sunday, its a 34 Pict 4. Asked some questions and apparently they were for the american market and had some extra bits for the californian emissions laws.
01042008003.jpg

01042008004.jpg

So I took them off for a start :lol:
Gave it a quick clean and rebuild as the throttle butterfly seemed to be all sludged up. Got the top off and found all this red crap inside..
01042008005.jpg

Cleaned it out along with all the jets and hopefully I've got a working carb.
01042008006.jpg

Ok a bit more progress,
drivers side front wheel was binding up so that needed to come back off and have the pads fettled so it ran free.
Discovered a bloody great oil leak, around the crap oil pump cover supplied with the engine mount adaptor kit :roll:
Had a passenger seat tab missing to made one and welded it in..
03042008003.jpg

Where the exhaust bolts to the head was kippered on one side, and both pre heat outlets were blocked so cut the flanges off my old monza four tip and grafted them onto the header
03042008005.jpg

And if my cherry bomb isn't loud enough I've got a plan B to asbo it up
03042008004.jpg

:p

Nice work chap, and I love the site of a monza 4 tip cut up! :twisted: :wink:

Best thing for it, donated one pair of tips to a work mate. Its ended up on his cortina based kit car, sounds ASBO worthy apparently :lol:

Boring job today...
19042008.jpg

19042008001.jpg

Just need to whip the tyres off and give the wheels a key
19042008002.jpg

19042008003.jpg

coming along rather nicely then 8) so mobile dance floor for Big Bang then scotty :?: :?: :mrgreen:

Fitted my rebuilt carb on sunday
20042008.jpg

Finished off rubbing down my wheels on monday. Knocked the dents out and filed smooth all the scrapes. Sprayed the backs with stone chip (well UPOL gravi guard which is much better than that hammerite stone chip crap)
21042008.jpg

Today I sprayed the wheels. I didn't feel the need to high build and rub them back cause, lets be honest, they are wheels for a daily. Didn't get any photos of them in primer as I was on my own and had guns to wash, paint to mix before the wet on wet primer went past being tacky
22042008001.jpg

22042008.jpg

This is only the third time I've really done any spraying, and the first time I've been left to my own devices.
Have to say I'm really chuffed with the results
22042008002.jpg

funny thing is, its the same colour i was gonna choose for my wheels :) , i must say nice job and looks just as i imagined 8)

Thanks very much, they are a big brighter in the flesh, should contrast nicely with the black (eventually!) bodywork. Thats my plan anyway! :lol:

Nice looking red wheeels dood :wink: im all about the reed wheels :D what tyres are you going for? a cheeky white wall sir? :wink:

Latest posts