Indicator lights on speedo face 1970 Bay Window

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliott99

Reaction score
Hi, my indicator tell tales on the speedo have stopped working, although the indicators themselves all work. I cleaned the contacts on the relay to no avail, so fitted a new relay, but still did not cure it. Looking for any pointers as to where to be looking, as electrics are not my thing! Thanks.

I’m rubbish with it too. When ever anything goes wrong on the dash, I immediately start fiddling with the earth and most of the time that sorts it. It runs from one end above the heater box and clips into the back of the dash. After that I’m stumped.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,bloody leck tricks :)

Found a brown wire hanging off the indicator switch, re-soldered it, only to find it was brown/white, and was the headlamp flasher, so still stuck!IMG_3896.jpg

Hi, my indicator tell tales on the speedo have stopped working, although the indicators themselves all work. I cleaned the contacts on the relay to no avail, so fitted a new relay, but still did not cure it. Looking for any pointers as to where to be looking, as electrics are not my thing! Thanks.

This might help.

1982286.jpg

This might help.

1982286.jpg
This might help.

1982286.jpg
Very helpful diagram, and sort of answers a question I have about our newly acquired 1971 van.

When new did both indicator repeater lights in the dash flash? Irrespective of the direction indicating? Which is what my van does now.

It looks like in the revised wiring diagram they are now separated.

Simon

Yes both flash at same time as standard, someone on here did wire them up to flash individualy, have a thread search and it should come up.
Looks like the wiring diagram I found on this thread does the job. Although, it's something that can wait until I need to get the instrument panel off. No need looking for trouble...

Very helpful diagram, and sort of answers a question I have about our newly acquired 1971 van.

When new did both indicator repeater lights in the dash flash? Irrespective of the direction indicating? Which is what my van does now.

It looks like in the revised wiring diagram they are now separated.

Simon

It was one of my contributions to VW Motoring magazine a few decades ago, which was published as a "Reader's Top Tip", earning me a £10 prize.

I had long thought it illogical to have two direction-indicator tell-tale lights, which did NOT flash separately, according to whether one had activated the left-hand or right-hand direction indicators; giving appropriate feedback about which had been selected, and alerting one to any incorrect selection, that I have all too often witnessed from other drivers.

Hence, I revised the circuitry of my family's 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 so that they would flash independently, rather than together.

Latest posts