Jimmy our 68 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi dude have you had a chance to drive the bus since fitting the Gaz shocks if so have you noticed a difference as I'll be getting the same shocks are they the 16" ones with 150llb springs?

Mark

Ps cool looking bus

I drove it quite a lot with a set I borrowed and since fitting this set I've probably done a few hundred miles. It makes a massive difference from the old coilovers. Still not prefect mind but certainly a lot closer. They are the 16" ones but I only have the 125lb springs so I would guess the 150lb would be an improvement again and with some more adjustments I think they wont be far off perfect!

If I can get the stiffer springs it should let me put a larger tyre on which would bring the beam up further and the stiffer springs should remove any rubbing.

If you need any more info let me know!

Cool thanks for that
I've got 2.5" dropped spindles with adjusters and tubs held up with the bug pack coilovers which are compressed almost all the way as they are 17" long so the ride is hard as the shocks don't do much.
Did you take your old shocks off then measure for the right length or leave them on?

Cheers
Mark

I didn't measure for these ones as I knew it was a set grahaml had tested so I just gave them a try. You should measure with the shocks off both sides though

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Well today was the day when we finally got the van out from hibernation! Been far too long

vcLFt.jpg

I took advantage of the good weather and knocked a few jobs off the list, wasn't organised enough to get the stuff for servicing so that will probably be next week. First fitted the westy floor trim, much better now:

ZLIvQ.jpg

Then I fitted buttys new accelerator linkage. Makes a massive difference, pedal was sloppy before but feels much improved:

W6Bke.jpg

Then it was about time I finished the doors off. so first job was to repair the broken eccentric on my handle from an old set I picked up at the end of last year:

HpoiL.jpg

Fit sound deading and waxoyl the bottom of the doors:

Sx8ab.jpg

Fit the plastic sheeting, I tucked it in but have I done it right?

1iWzf.jpg

And finally fit the door card and furniture, proper doors at last!

u0EUr.jpg

I changed the broken dash vent (pain of a job!) and I also started drilling out old rivets to refit the curtain rails but the drill bit snapped :roll: will carry on with that one tomorrow morning before heading off for a campervan lunch :D

67westy said:
Fit remaining curtain rails and curtains
Get wifey to make black out screens
DONE-Fit finishing strip to floor near sliding door
Fit GPS tracker
Full engine service
Check and adjust brakes
Engine out to fit new heat exchangers and find a small oil leak (round cooler I think)
DONE-Fix door lock
DONE-Fit new door cards
Refurb original seats
Get windscreen changed (Strongy!)
Finish off fitting propex
Look into LED lighting options
Fit pedal pan
Re-cover westy stool
Get the sink unit sorted
Fit chrome rear light surrounds
Fit new steering wheel
Fit westy cargo net
Fit wiper spindles + NOS 68 wiper arms
Check why the washers only last 10 minutes
Pop top fringe
mozzie nets for windows
Find and fit ignition switch (spring broke)
Try 150lb springs on coilovers
DONE-Fit new air vent
DONE-Fit buttys accelerator linkage

Seems to be never ending :lol: looks like we were doing the same job today!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Just caught up with your thread. What a great resto. :mrgreen:

Those gas shocks look interesting. I've been running t2d's on mine and it looks like these are a better option. I'll add some to my wish list. Are they a stock item or is there a long lead time?

Cheers 8)

Cali_bay said:
Just caught up with your thread. What a great resto. :mrgreen:
Thanks :mrgreen: I still grin every time I go to the garage

Cali_bay said:
Those gas shocks look interesting. I've been running t2d's on mine and it looks like these are a better option. I'll add some to my wish list. Are they a stock item or is there a long lead time?

Cheers 8)

The shocks are definitely one of the best purchases I've made there is quite a long thread about them: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; A few folk have tried them now and all the feedback is good. They are a "stock" item but they took a week or so to arrive as I don't think they keep a great deal on the shelves. Get the 150lb springs if you go for them, I'll be uprating mine at some point soon

Well one more job off the list today and then a trip out for some campervan lunch:

ZXOtq.jpg

Steak, brie and onion baguettes :mrgreen:

lCzT4.jpg

67westy said:
Fit remaining curtain rails and curtains
Fit GPS tracker
Full engine service
DONE-Check and adjust brakes
Engine out to fit new heat exchangers and find a small oil leak (round cooler I think)
DONE-Fix door lock
DONE-Fit new door cards
Refurb original seats
Get windscreen changed (Strongy!)
Finish off fitting propex
Fit pedal pan
Re-cover westy stool
Get the sink unit sorted
Fit new steering wheel
Fit westy cargo net
Pop top fringe
mozzie nets for windows
DONE-Fit new air vent

67westy said:

IMAG0423_zps155249bc.jpg

Well i took my cards of last week as i didnt cut the membrane and they leaked! So I did as you have and put it all back together. So today I washed the bus and tested them..................they still leak! :roll: So fingers crossed you have better luck

creationblue said:
67westy said:

Well i took my cards of last week as i didnt cut the membrane and they leaked! So I did as you have and put it all back together. So today I washed the bus and tested them..................they still leak! :roll: So fingers crossed you have better luck

Ahhh rubbish :( I think it was your thread that I saw it on otherwise I would have just stuck them all the way round! I didn't cut just tucked in at the bottom, no idea if that's better or worse though :lol: Didn't get a chance to wash it today as we had visitors so I'll have to see how it goes next time :shock:

mister said:
The bus is looking great. Inspirational!

Well we bought this puck today, gonna be towing it with the van once a tow bar is sorted....

39g76.jpg

MmS5t.jpg

3VLae.jpg

Well we just had a really good weekend camping near Ashbourne, nice quiet site with good views. Saw a few early's on the travels as well. Here's a few pics :D

hl7vM.jpg

View from the van:
FhvS4.jpg

iZqUk.jpg

Guard dog waiting for me to return:
UAFpG.jpg

Also got a few more jobs crossed off the list.....

67westy said:
DONE-Fit remaining curtain rails and curtains
Fit GPS tracker
Full engine service
DONE-Check and adjust brakes
DONE-Fix door lock
DONE-Fit new door cards
Refurb original seats
DONE-Get windscreen changed (Strongy!)
DONE-Finish off fitting propex
Fit pedal pan
DONE-Re-cover westy stool
Get the sink unit sorted
Fit new steering wheel
DONE-Fit westy cargo net
Pop top fringe
mozzie nets for windows
DONE-Fit new air vent

rallye dale said:
8) Looking good, bet the list gets longer !

Ha! Yeah it does. Loads of little things keep getting done, drove well at the weekend though so can't complain :)

Nice to meet you on Saturday, thanks for dropping th dash off.

Now I've seen your van in the flesh, I'm undecided as to whether it's an inspiration to get mine done or a reminder of just how much there is to do on it :msn4:

Latest posts