Lowered height difference L & R

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at my van the other day and noticed that the ride height is slightly different one side at the rear - the OS is about 3cm higher than the NS. Doesn't seem to effect the ride and it drives straight, but now I've noticed I want to put it right. Any ideas where to begin? - I think I may have some sort of adjusters on the rear, but don't know how to find out.

The NS rear is lowered to about 1cm above the rim and the wheel was quite difficult to get off past the drum, so I think I'm at the lowest I can go and still feasibly change the wheel, I would like the other side to be the same.

Looks like just one I think, and from what I've seen they look like they are already lowering plates. So I'm guessing they can be rotated on the spline a bit.... how much lower can they go without affecting ride quality?

e90d73f59dc8a831d9fa3842393ffa4e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

They’re not adjustable spring plates, look like 2” fixed drop ones.
You can adjust the drop by rotating on the inner and outer splines, but adjustable spring plates are so much easier.
You can get uneven stance if any of the 4 rubber bushes are worn as well.

It may be that when someone fitted those spring plates that they popped the torsion bar out of the inner mount by accident and then put it back together on the wrong spline. If you’re anal like myself, it’s probably easiest to remove them both and put them back in the same orientation (worth centre punching the same reference point on each side!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moseley said:
It may be that when someone fitted those spring plates that they popped the torsion bar out of the inner mount by accident and then put it back together on the wrong spline. If you’re anal like myself, it’s probably easiest to remove them both and put them back in the same orientation (worth centre punching the same reference point on each side!)

Thanks, if that were the case would the spring plates be in different positions relative to the pivot plate - if you see what I mean? They're the same, here's a photo of the other side...
754373708d6c8ea086c6334a0a12f0d8.jpg

I assume that’s taken when the van is jacked up? Are they actually at the same level, or just sitting on the spring plate stop? Would be better having a look at the difference when the van is on the ground.

Moseley said:
I assume that’s taken when the van is jacked up? Are they actually at the same level, or just sitting on the spring plate stop? Would be better having a look at the difference when the van is on the ground.

That's a good question, I did jack the back up to fit seatbelts, but I can't remember whether I took this whilst it was up. I'll check tomorrow when I get it back from the menders.

Oh yes they're different, well spotted. I'll have to get some new ones.

89dec2233439bd4ce056873214355050.jpg

ff672ecc3fda49a0b6dcb75f3a46552b.jpg

The longer I have the van the more shortcuts I find! It's nearly there though and drives well :)

As above, they certainly look to be different spring plates on either side! Also, seems a bit odd that they’re so close to the lower spring plate end stop. If going over bumps, there should be some negative travel available, but your setup certainly looks as though the spring plate would be crashing into the end stop. Ideally, it should sit somewhere in the middle of the upper and lower stops.

Ah yes, that explains the noise when I go over bumps! I'll have to put some bags of sand in the back!

Can anyone recommend the right spring plates to buy, I'm guessing the usual places sell them.

Treat yourself to some adjustable ones, various manufacturers sell there own version. Given your ride height, avoid any that have a ‘kick’ in them to give a fixed drop as well as the adjustable drop. You’ll be able to tweak the ride height with those, so saves messing around with playing with adjusting the torsion bars.

Having just read up on the subject it appears that the ride height is almost infinitely adjustable on the notches. I think these spring plates will make the bus very low with the recommended position and I'm fairly sure that the previous owner had the height set like this so it didn't sit too low, maybe he realized he couldn't get the wheel off if it was much lower (?) In fact the rear ride height doesn't look much different from stock.

(BTW How do you guys with lower buses get the rear wheel off?)

It's relatively easy with adjustable spring plates. Undo the lower shock bolt, loosen the locking bolt on the spring plate and then Jack it up. The wheel drops down low enough to slide out of the arch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I am now planning on adjusting the existing plates to the correct position, just to see how it looks, I may get adjustable ones later. I think it'll be about 3" lower which will mean I can't get the wheel on, so do I have to reattach the axle to the plate with the wheel on?

You will probably always struggle with kicked, fixed drop spring plates if you are running a low offset, or wider than standard wheel. Looking at your photos, you are pretty much already running the spring plates at the lowest position (highest ride height) so jacking the van up, removing lower shock bolt etc won’t make any difference. Once the spring plate is touching the lower stop, nothing will drop it lower without removing most of the rear suspension and brake lines.

Changing the position of the spring plate by rotating the inner and outer splines will indeed achieve a lower stance, but you will still be in exactly the same position as you are now regarding the spring plate position when trying to remove the wheel. You’ll probably stop the banging when going over bumps, but you need to be wary of dropping the van too far or you’ll be hitting CV joints on the chassis rails.

You really aren’t doing yourself any favours by keeping those spring plates. Either go back to stock (if you don’t want to drop the rear by much more than you currently are) or buy adjustable ones. They make life a lot easier for ride height tweaks, and removing your wheels.

I am having trouble locating adjustable plates for my van, nowhere seems to sell them, waiting for responses from a few of the usual suppliers, CoolairVW recommended Limebug! Limebug have just come back saying they will be getting some in at end of year or next year.

Heritage and JK sell everything but the spring plates!

ee3875d7e2f21d85a17ea67589629885.jpg

Anyone know of anywhere?

Transporterhaus have some http://transporterhaus.de/index.php/product/early-bay-window-bus-adjustable-spring-plates/

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Latest posts