Meet poppy - Updated 20/07/2015 mot'd and back on the road

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christmas came early to Marriedblondes house this weekend.

7.50am saturday morning my engine was delivered to me and then on sunday I was sent a PM asking me to contact a certain bodyshop to arrange getting my bus in for a bit of painwork :)

Happy days. For the first time this year I am actually excited about my bus!

J.

Marriedblonde said:
Christmas came early to Marriedblondes house this weekend.

7.50am saturday morning my engine was delivered to me and then on sunday I was sent a PM asking me to contact a certain bodyshop to arrange getting my bus in for a bit of painwork :)

Happy days. For the first time this year I am actually excited about my bus!

J.

Happy days j, time to get the interior out ready for the paint 8)

Not updated this thread for a while...

about 14 months ago I booked my bus in for restoration at Midland Paintwerks, after looking around at the buses and phoning a few people I knew that Stewart and Drew were the right ones to carry out the work.

Back in November I received a call from Stewart to say they were ready to take my bus. So it was a quick strip down and ship off to them in Stoke.

They started to strip poppy down and whilst I knew she had been involved in an accident. It was only when they stripped her down they could assess how bad it was.

Needless to say it worse than expected, so much in fact I am having to go up and visit in person to discuss the options of what to do with her.

I think my restoration budget has now gone through the window...

anyway some pics of the state of her and how much bondo was on her...

Enjoy.

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4409.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4514.jpg

IMG_4515.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

IMG_4696.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

IMG_4698.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4708.jpg

IMG_4709.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_4715.jpg

IMG_4716.jpg

IMG_4717.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

IMG_4719.jpg

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4721.jpg

IMG_4722.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

IMG_4724.jpg

IMG_4725.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg

IMG_4727.jpg

IMG_4759.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg

IMG_4765.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4767.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

IMG_4772.jpg

IMG_4773.jpg

Looks like there is a bit to do there mate. As I'm sure you know its in safe hands though :) do you have a plan of what's being done?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wow!! :shock:
It's difficult to work out in the pics like, but has the whole cab area moved sideways???
Or been replaced, (badly)?? :?
What ever is up, it's bad!!
Shame cos rest of bus looks ok in the metal !?!
Good luck!!

Hi,

Thats a fair bit of filler! :shock: Though, as already mentioned ^^^^ it is certainly in the best place, if the work down to Mr Brightside is anything to go by.... 8)

The front end has had a bump or two? Suppose a good used front clip, and posts would do the trick. How's the chassis looking? I cant quite make out which part on the photo with the crumpeled metalwork is, is that under the arches or something?

It does look good though in bare metal, granted, some bits are bent, but looks like the arches, sills etc are solid. Whats going on around the walkthrough vent? Has it has damage there too - new front end or something odd?

Look forward to seeing progress on this, I reckon it's gonna be really nice when it's done, will just take a little time......

Good luck!

Cheers,

Alistair

67westy said:
Looks like there is a bit to do there mate. As I'm sure you know its in safe hands though :) do you have a plan of what's being done?

Yer I know it is at the right place to be sorted.

New rear corner, bottom front valence, remove the dents in the roof etc etc etc paint interior, paint engine bay, paint wheels... all in the original colour (wheels will be white not pearly white)

I am having the side reflectors and westy power socket welded up to keep it clean and smooth.

J.

Lee C said:
Wow!! :shock:
It's difficult to work out in the pics like, but has the whole cab area moved sideways???
Or been replaced, (badly)?? :?
What ever is up, it's bad!!
Shame cos rest of bus looks ok in the metal !?!
Good luck!!

It had a knock at the front, there is damage to the windscreen pillars. The message I had was poppy has had a really bad smash back to the B posts. So who knows.

aogrady said:
Hi,

Thats a fair bit of filler! :shock: Though, as already mentioned ^^^^ it is certainly in the best place, if the work down to Mr Brightside is anything to go by.... 8)

The front end has had a bump or two? Suppose a good used front clip, and posts would do the trick. How's the chassis looking? I cant quite make out which part on the photo with the crumpeled metalwork is, is that under the arches or something?

It does look good though in bare metal, granted, some bits are bent, but looks like the arches, sills etc are solid. Whats going on around the walkthrough vent? Has it has damage there too - new front end or something odd?

Look forward to seeing progress on this, I reckon it's gonna be really nice when it's done, will just take a little time......

Good luck!

Cheers,

Alistair

Cheers Alistair :)

The certainly know their onions. The crumpled metal work is the front valence. The walkthrough vent is just rusted and has some sealant on it.

I hope it is going to be worth the stress!!!

68_early_bay said:
Just remember j it'll be worth it 8)

I know I know, just had a bad year with poppy with the engine etc and now the restoration isn't going quite as smoothly as hoped. And I was being pretty realistic in my hopes..

I've done nothing but plough money into her since I bought her. Seems like classics are a bottom less pit...

Marriedblonde said:
68_early_bay said:

I know I know, just had a bad year with poppy with the engine etc and now the restoration isn't going quite as smoothly as hoped. And I was being pretty realistic in my hopes..

I've done nothing but plough money into her since I bought her. Seems like classics are a bottom less pit...

It will be worth it honest :D

Bodywork is the worst part of it :(

Bloody Hell !

It just goes to show what Bondo can hide. It it's in good hands, Stuart & Drew will have it sorted.

There will be enough of their work around soon to have a mini line up at one of the shows ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marriedblonde said:
68_early_bay said:

:cry: I wouldn't say a bottomless pit - just a looonnnnggg way down. There will be a end, bodywprk is always the worst, so better to get it done once, properly, and that's that, other bits are bolt on, and cheaper (engine aside!)

Once all the hard earned has been spent on the body, it'll go on for donkeys years (how long is a actual donkey year? :msn4: )

The floor shouldn't be too much bother then around the walkthrough, and maybe a front clip will sort most of it, or just repair panel top and bottom? One good thing about replacing metal is that you can get inside the nooks and crannies and give it a proper rustproofing from the inside out, and can see the condition of said inards - you wouldn't see this if the bus was undamaged and rusting inside out, so that's a plus I think?! :lol:

Anyway, just think of all the money you are saving on petrol! ;) :lol: That can go towards the resto! ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

Latest posts