My 1971 lowlight Danbury - The resto goes on!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bus today! Got the paint! Waiting to be applied! :lol:
[
[
Struggling with wheel choice but im sure it will become clear when the paint's on!

hi all, the vans got ever closer over Easter! Dont want this to be rushed tho!
bulkheads have been welded in, all underneath work has been done including a new heating system!
Front and rear bumpers have been totally restored and are now near perfect!
Just doin final preppy bits now, hope to have the inside painted this week! :lol:

Front bumper middle section and grille being prepped...

End sections cleaned up and rear bumper restored!

Rear valance still has a couple more hours work to make perfect!

some muppet cut out the bulkheads before i got it, so replacements were taken from a scrap bay and grafted in.you wouldn't know now!

Inside all ready for paint! :lol:

another idiot has hacked big holes in the back shelf to gain access to the fuel tank sender! This is the final bit of welding to be done! Phew!!! :lol:

More updates soon! :wink:

These Porsche front seats are gonna go in the bus . Gonna have the velour cheque inserts retrimed before they go in tho as they're past there best. Very comfy though! 8)

porscheseats.jpg

Did some quick sketches of my proposed interior. Inserts are gonna be biscuit or tan velour. mmmmm! Well i like it anyway!
Not to scale or anythin, but just a doodle so i can see what i'm workin towards!Can't work out what colour to have the two bolster cushions on the rock n roll bed? Gonna be nice and simple! :D

Thanks T2nate! The guy who's painting it is snowed under a bit at the mo, so i have to wait my turn!Then the whole van has to be retrimmed! Suits me as i can save a bit more for new parts to go back on it! Im really aiming to have the van ready for BVF which i think is June. Got nearly all bits to fit it back up now! :lol:

At last, I can see the end! Paint has gone on the inside of the bus, kansas beige. wil look grat once fitted up!
Have painted entire inside so looks delicious! :lol:
Here's a few pics, outside painted in next few days!!

Nice coverage all round! I'm liking the colour a lot now!

All areas of bulkheads painted, floor to be done in white...

[I think the painted dashes look soooooo cool!

[All interior metalwork also painted in kansas beige!

Exterior waiting for its several coats of Kansas beige!!! :lol:

Hi baybus70,
Your bus is looking fantastic - all that prep has definately paid off on the interior, top job 8) 8)

I have a request to make of you... when your seats get retrimmed can I have the old patterned fabric from them? One of my Porsche seats (like yours) has a hole but is mint otherwise - it would be great to repair it with the correct fabric!! Let me know...

cheers

Juss

;)

No worries juss! I'll get the trimmer to save the fabric and then send it to you.
You got a pm so cold you send address please,
cheers,steve

nice looking resto and great colour, im going for a similar biege on my reesto but i am wayyyyy off that yet hehe

who did the sketches btw?

pinheaduk said:
nice looking resto and great colour, im going for a similar biege on my reesto but i am wayyyyy off that yet hehe

who did the sketches btw?

You'll get there, this forums the greatest incentive! Beige is the way to go. Take a look at prarie beige, it bootiful!

I did the sketches, i just prefere it to computer jiggery pokery!And because using this forum tests me to the limit technology wise! Used to sell car portraits and characatures at shows years ago but kinda stopped for reasons that aren't good enough!(lazyness and work)just do it for family and friends and myself now. :lol:

Well, it's finally happening! The ist 3 coats have been applied. The paint is now being wet sanded back to perfection, and then another 3 coats will be applied. Looked great with just the 1st 3 coats on, the shine should be nice and deep once the 6th coat is flatted polished! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here's a few pics of it with the 1st 3 coats getting wet sanded -(800 wet and dry).

Those pesky youngsters behind tryna get in on the shot grrrr!
[
hard to see flated back but the paint looks great!
[
Bus looks nice and straight down the sides
[
Few bits and bobs to perfect but so close now! pics don't do the colour justice- :lol:
Should have finished paint by beggining of next week! :D

thats getting darn close now. i really like the sketches mate. trying to get girlfriends brother to do a photoshop job of how i want my camper to look like. but this will only give me the outside. i could do with trying to something like that for the inside. will look really good to aim for, rater than just an image in my head. will give other people who ask me an actual image too.

thats looking really good. i'm liking the inside colour. i'll be going for something like dark blue up the the roof guttering, but will need something light inside. that colour looks like it will really compliment most interior colours.

really cant wait to see how this masterpiece develops as the bits start going back together

Keep it up, and hurry with that final coat :)

NaFe

Haveacamper said:
thats getting darn close now. i really like the sketches mate. trying to get girlfriends brother to do a photoshop job of how i want my camper to look like. but this will only give me the outside. i could do with trying to something like that for the inside. will look really good to aim for, rater than just an image in my head. will give other people who ask me an actual image too.

Thanks for the kind words fellas! :D
If you do me a rough sketch of how you want it Havacamper,send it to me and let me know the colours, ill do a proper interior plan for you, pm me if your interested. No charge of course!

Latest posts