My 69 Tin Top Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started on the rear disks today, what a nightmare of a job, the kit id sesigned for a crosover bay so not exactly a bolt on kit, who would have thought the rear hub would be so different!!

also any one know how you refit a tyre with a red 9 design lowerd rear arm??

DSC00095.jpg

What is the rear setup? Looking nice and shiney. Anymore pics?

Its a Futbus conversion, using Audi calipers, a modded late bay hub and custom brackets.

seems like a nice bit of kit, although i have a few teathing problems that i need to speak to futbus about today.

will get more photos when its finished!

Mark

I finaly got the bus back on all 4 wheels yesterday, still not finished, but i wanted to check the clearences of my winter wheels.

I think these tyres may be a bit narrow, 165/50/15
P1011463-1.jpg

P1011464-1.jpg

P1011465.jpg

so I tried some 175/55/15s
P1011467.jpg

P1011466.jpg

I also had to notch the bottomof my spring plates to allow me to fit my rear wheels!
P1011463.jpg

Looking nice - the 175's look better IMHO, gives the wheel a bit more 'bulk' ;)

I'm running 175's and they are far more comfortable. Have you cut down your rear bumpstops?

I think you need to go lower :mrgreen: :roll:

Keep up the good work, looks amazing.

Jon

Funny you should mention the bump stops, I lowered it down and was a bit confused as to why it was still so high, i thought it would settle, then about 24 hours later it dawned on me, I had better cut the bump stops! its a quite a bit lower now lol

Im going for 175/50/15's on the front now, with 195/65/15 on the rear.

Thanks for the comments, its getting there slowly.

Just a small update, i have started to fit my Zig unit and Propex hearer, wich is turning out to be a lot more involved than i first thought!

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, thanx Faux ;)

DSC00322.jpg

Its all in, i'm just waiting on some fuses and to connect my leisure battery up, wich i got cheap from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160350632081&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking good, all i need now is a hinge to enable removal of the door.

Propex is in (better photos to follow)
DSC00329.jpg

I fitted the thermostat up heigh, mainly because someone had allready drilled holes for the speakers so I thought another few wont hurt!

DSC00330.jpg

the Calor gas bottle I had didnt fit under the seat, so I bought one of these, Campin gaz 109, Smaller and available in Europe, should i wish to travel!

23776.jpg

Left to do, is secure the leisure battery and connect it up, then wire my stereo and interior lights in to the zig unit.

does this work never end!?!

You must have fitted some massive tyres to get get a view from the rear like that! :lol:

Some photos from Volksfest Wales
P1013743.jpg

P1013750.jpg

And some extra bling!
P1013756.jpg

P1013755.jpg

I havent bolted them up yet, but they should be on for Van fest!

Just a small update as to what I have been up to over the last few weeks

Stripped out interior, floor has been given a coat of Por 15, awesome stuff, you can see it in the photo sut its like i have pored liquid plastic over the floor, it squeeks when i walk on it!
P1010012.jpg

Sound proofing started, Excuse the scruffy look of it, this was my first attempt
P1010013.jpg

Head lining removed, most of the glue removed and sound insulation started
P1010021.jpg

P1010029.jpg

P1010015.jpg

More sound insulation
P1010016.jpg

and more
P1010017.jpg

can you guess wo I copied here? still more to go on top.
P1010018.jpg

New Lino, A bargin at £10
P1010033.jpg

My wardrobe started like this
P1010035.jpg

and now looks like this, plent of updates to com on this.
P1010043.jpg

Before and after, there is a difference honest!
P1010044.jpg

Some goodies I picked up at FBI
P1010046.jpg

and some parts to clean
P1010045.jpg

Oh and my poster on the garage door, comes in very handy
P1010036.jpg

mate some good progress there. Looks like thats going to be one wam bus when you finish :)

out of interest, how do you find having a tintop rather than a poptop? in a dilema as to whether i should be narrowing my option to just a poptop?

NaFe

oh, thats a tuff one, i do get on quite well with the tin top, but i do somethimes wish i had a pop top, just for teh kids really as it would give us extra sleeping. the headroom for moving about isnt an issue.

thats what i was thinking! i think the only time i bumped my head when i had the poptop was around the region where the poptop went to a tintop and i would hit my head on the step. if you dont have the poptop, then you dont have the step and i wouldnt bump my head.

i dont have kids and prob wont have kids until i'm about 30 (5 1/2 years :p) so that wouldnt be an issue either.

think i will be keeping my options open :)

NaFe

Small update, I was offered these today at a price i couldent refuse, so hopefully they will fit and be on soon :)
17048_271083273467_503188467_309-1.jpg

This is coming on really well, good work.

Did you ever get a hinge for the under bed cupboard? I have one if you need one, I would just need the one you take off yours so I keep a spare.

Keep up the good work and get it ready for the Volksworld show

Jon

Thanks Jon

Yeah I would love a hinge, you can deffo have one of mine, it was next on my list of things I need.

fingers crossed it will be ready its getting close.

The van still wont look much though its still scabby as hell on the outside lol

Latest posts