My Rear Arches - DISCUSS

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gütterßnipe

Reaction score
Hi all, :D
I've been asked a few times about the rear arches on my ex USA 71 Westy as they seem to be a bit different to the rest of the bunch...
think i've seen them on very early bays but cant quite remember?????
They have never been repaired/replaced yet they do not have the standard flat sided edge on them.
It was built in October 1970 as per my M-Plate details.
Take a butchers at one of the buggers!
Any clues gratefully received or am I losing the plot..... :?
Cheers
Spence
0a84379a.jpg

your bus, being a 71 model year, had the flared arches when the small five wheel was introduced in august 70, so they are correct

you going to the heritage meet this month in it?

Yes, not working that night so should make it, although the missus wants to go out for a meal.....
I'm still bemused i've looked at loads of 71's with flat arches???

what rear lights does it have? my guess is that its a late 71, proabably with the big rear lights.

All 71 my buses have flared arches, don't forget model years run from 1 august - 31st July so anything built after august 1970 has flared rear arches.
If you have seen 71 my with flat arches they have been changed or it may be a SA or Oz bus as their changes didn't always fall in line with ones built in Germany

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Graham,
Cheers mate....I still haven't seen another 71 with flared arches without the flattened edge that's parallel to the side panel.
Even looking through the gallery on here!!!!
Spence

SpenceBoosDad said:
No its small red lights with the US reversing lamps above converted to indicators!

thats right, crossovers didnt happen until august 71

as i said before, all (german built) buses (built, not registered) from aug 70 until the end of production had flared arches.

from chassis number 2112 000 001 ;)

Both My 71s have the same arch.

Yours looks a bit pushed out from inside. Looks like those arches could have been rolled to fit the BRMs at the back?
[youtube]xGvVBJeJ1XQ[/youtube]

Nah
It was rolling at stock height until 2 months ago.
Just had it lowered by t2d on a one day job and had the BRM's fitted
At the same time :)

Nuff said.....
I reckon that most of the Coastal buses around Brighton have had their arches replaced with the incorrect late versions!
Cheers
Spence

Just looked more closely at your pic and I see waht you mean - the arch has a rounded edge in section (not flat like usual) Hmmm, haven't seen this before, kind of like a cross between an early early arch (68 to 70) and a late early arch (Aug 70 to Jul 71)

As per Johnny that arch deffinately looks to have been rolled in order to accept a larger/higher wheel combo possibly by the PO at some point...

Whats the wheel camber like on your bus?

just to join in the fun, i had Spencers van i recently and the arches show no sign of being rolled and they havent been cut at all as original spot welds are still visible, they just seem to be missing the "flat" section of the profile. its very odd, not come across one like this before.

Does look 8) though :D

Latest posts