New 4 into 1 exhaust making my engine bay really hot!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhodes4130

Reaction score
Hi all I've just fitted a new ss mondo exhaust and 4into1 manifold
I went for a drive and seems like its making my engine bay get really hot the tin was very hot to touch
The manifold goes really close to the pulley wheel tin chamber thingy part it looks like most 4into1s would do the same has anyone had this problem and any ideas how I could keep it cooler

Cheers tony

well I would say header wrap BUT if it gets soaked in oil then it can catch fire :shock: next best self adhesive foil (demon tweaks)comes in a sheet just cut to shape .used some on my lads mk2 golf on bulkhead cos of 4into1 manifold .

Yeah cheers I was thinking exhaust wrap but I've herd it can rot the pipes quick and can dissipate the heat into the heads - don't like the sound of that and like the sound of it on fire even less!
Well I been looking at a thermo tec clamp on pipe shield
So will try one of those but while under the van noticed the pipe it actualy touching the tin so might have to mod the tin some how and see how that gets on
Cheers

just my experience with exhaust wrap and not and advice but when i wrapped my entire header with exhaust heat wrap my engine temp went really high compared to normal and couldnt work out why . Then a mate of mine said you need the natural air flow of the air across the exhaust as your driving as metal radiates heat away and wrapping it up the heat then has nowhere to go ??

so i took all the wrap back off and hey presto enegine temp back down to normal . i just put up with warm/hot tinware and it hasnt caused me any probs with the engine running .

Just what i found and maybe something to think about before you make your choice :)

Cool cheers just what I needed to hear deffo decided no exhaust wrap now - even though I've seen quiet a few bus/beetles with it on!
Will just see how i get on Think I might get a oil temp gauge fitted so I can keep an eye on how hot she actually getting inside tho
Cheers again
Tony

Have the same problem tried using the foil based sheets and doesn't make much difference and as you say the manifold almost touches the sheet metal. I will go vintage speed next time . owen

Latest posts