New 70 to the fleet!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squareweave

Reaction score
Craigslist strikes again. I have been collecting parts for the 70 deluxe for a while now and booked my holidays so I could drive it to The VW Classic in California in June. Buuutttttt, i've come to the realization that I didn't think I would get it built in time. So when I saw this yesterday online I thought I would take a drive and go and look at it. This is my third 70 bus I currently own. As a friend said to me today I think I have "bay fever". Here is a teaser until I pick it up. OG paint and very OG bus. I'll be getting it ready over the next few months to take to The Classic
P1190019.jpg

You are soo lucky over there - bet it wasn't to expensive also :mrgreen:

Looking forward to more pictures ;)

THE LAST PANZER said:
Very cool, what you got planned for it. ( can't wait to get the chromies in my bus :D )

Planned is a "preservation". Somebody liked the rattle can beige paint and "touched up" a bunch of spots on the van, so I will strip off the spray paint. The main goal is to keep the van as OG as possible with a good detail and addressing what needs doing. It is virtually a rust free van so I am assuming they spray painted because of some patina. It's an adventurewagon and the camper interior (wood and upholstery) are well worn so a full new camper interior is planned as well. I am a trimmer so I will be redoing all of the rear upholstery just as original. The front seats and door panels are in beautiful shape so they will stay as is. The wood will be restored and repaired as original. It is a very complete van and I lucked out because the original awning and poles are all still present and look to be in great shape. It even has the OG propane fridge and stove and shore power cords. Any of the little missing parts will be replaced. I really didn't need another project but when I saw this I just couldn't say no. Good thing for an understanding wife!!

I paid for the van last night in full and took a few more pics. I was kind of rushed because I needed o get the paperwork sorted so here are the ones that were actually in focus.
Originally delivered to Texas, bus has some old La Habra California oil change stickers on the door. It made its way up to Washington a year or so ago and sat under a carport since.
P1190036.jpg

I guess they missed a few spots :lol:
P1190028.jpg

Somebody went crazy on this side with the spray paint. Nothing a little oven cleaner wont strip :D
P1190016.jpg

Uber straight!
P1190030.jpg

Sorry this ones a bit blurry.
P1190020.jpg

Original upholstery, brown floor, seat and pedestal mats in great shape. Even the OG brown crash pads behind the front seats.
P1190037.jpg

Very complete Adventurewagon interior. Awning poles on the floor.
P1190042.jpg

Thats it for now, I will be picking it up next mid-next week. Waiting for customs paperwork to clear.

If you ever want to sell it........... :lol: you know were i am :D Great bus fella it would look great cruisin' around Skeggy beach :oops: ( Skeggy beach= a cheap english holiday resort that i have spent many hours at)

Another great local find!
I just spoke with two other guys who were also trying to purchase this bus but couldn't come up with the cash quick enough.
Well worth the money! this is truly a very cool and clean Adventure wagen.

THE LAST PANZER said:
If you ever want to sell it........... :lol: you know were i am :D Great bus fella it would look great cruisin' around Skeggy beach :oops: ( Skeggy beach= a cheap english holiday resort that i have spent many hours at)

Cheap and cheerfull,are you going to skegvegas show in june ?.

bluebay said:
THE LAST PANZER said:

Cheap and cheerfull,are you going to skegvegas show in june ?.

Sure are fella, are you? if so we could cruise down together. Just getting a few bits together for the bus and the coming season can't wait.

Well not a whole lot of work going to be done on the van for a few weeks anyways. I have had the rims sandblasted and have the original cloud white mixed ready to paint them when I get the time. Not going for powdercoat this time as I want the exact colour for the van.
I have received the new tires I ordered. I went for the proper 185r14 8ply sidewall rating as this van is probably already alot heavier than the stock van.
P2010044.jpg

The van is not at home but being stored inside stored inside so I went over to my friends and measured up the interior cabinets so I can get the wood ordered. It is going to be birch veneer in "tobacco" colour. It's vey close to the original colour so it will hopefully be picked up in the next few days once I do a layout to figure out how much I will need. It's not cheap stuff but what is cheap that is good. I took a few random pictures of the van too. With the cabinet colour being tobacco the name project "smokers den" is kind of sticking. :lol:

These are stuck to the inside of the wardrobe closet behind the drivers seat.
P2040049.jpg

This van is just so original it still has the dual battery set up. I will test it all out and run the dual batteries as they work for the fridge. The plumbing hanging there is some ghetto heater set up the original owner installed. It will be removed.
P2040043.jpg

Original decal for the side water fill for the water tank. I just purchased a NOS plastic filler :D .
P2040048.jpg

I took my fingernail to the spray paint and just like I thought OG paint under. Kind of a shitty picture but I very happy to see what is under that rattle can crap.
P2040052.jpg

And here she sits for now.
P2040051.jpg

Well if it's going to be project "smokers den" then you'll need to wear this on your road trips.

paisley-jacket-26948-250x350.jpg

Oh and if you can scratch that much paint with your fingernails.....it's time to cut them.

Other than that, Your Van looks very original! Road trip to the Classic in June?

such a cool bus! very nice find. Good to know it's going to get some preservation and no "slamming" for a change ;)

roland said:
such a cool bus! very nice find. Good to know it's going to get some preservation and no "slamming" for a change ;)

There is just something about a well preserved vehicle. You can take any vehicle and make it shiny and new at anytime but a nice solid OG van just looks so rich with a few nicks and bumps. I am still going to go over everything mechanically. This van is going to be great to camp in up the Cali coast. I am pretty damn stoked to find this rare bird.

GeoffP said:
Well if it's going to be project "smokers den" then you'll need to wear this on your road trips.

paisley-jacket-26948-250x350.jpg

Oh and if you can scratch that much paint with your fingernails.....it's time to cut them.

Other than that, Your Van looks very original! Road trip to the Classic in June?

Ah I didn't see you post earlier. The sarcasm from you, I would have never expected it! Yup, California in June :party0049: :party0048: :party0047: , you have your options I guess, you can live the "high life" with me or the "low life" with notchback.

I'll take option 3! Living life in "The fast Lane" and roll in the Porsche Bus :lol:

Have you set up the awning yet? It looks almost new!?!? Great score!

Latest posts