NO MORE! - Tyres Rubbing the Arches

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh joy. I've got some t-haus d.spindles I've not fitted yet am gonna give it a bash tomorrow. Also got stock wheels with a 65 profile tyre stock shocks at tho mo. And no bumpstops. From reading this thread and another I'm not full of confidence about the problems I'm gonna face. Yeah I know I'm gonna get the t.haus coilovers. But new tyres to? Perhaps new spring leafs and what about the lack of bumpstops? I thought this would be straight forward but like everything else on a classic dub its a total shit fight all the way!

do yourself a favour and get the coilovers from GSF - -a fair bit cheaper and unless i'm mistaken they're the same. you will have to cut down the bottom shock mounting bush (on the shocks) its too long for the thread as they come. and yeah tyre of choice for me would be 175/65/14 - you can get a good load rating in this size - or if you want you can have my old 185/60/14's for a fair price cos i'm prob gonna change em!
think you'll prob hit the road before the bump stops come into play anyway :lol: !!!!

Geeze said:
Cali-bay, have you caught the beam yet? Or all good on that front with the taller 185/55s and bumpstop mod?

I haven't caught it yet. The ride feels pretty good over most bumps (alot smoother than my previous bus' turned beam), but do get to bump the stops on big hits, but no rubbing or grinding on the beam (that what there fore though :lol: ). I want to run it for a few more trips before I am completely happy, but feels OK at the mo. Will then look a making some sets of the mod up.

jammac said:
Oh joy. I've got some t-haus d.spindles I've not fitted yet am gonna give it a bash tomorrow. Also got stock wheels with a 65 profile tyre stock shocks at tho mo. And no bumpstops. From reading this thread and another I'm not full of confidence about the problems I'm gonna face. Yeah I know I'm gonna get the t.haus coilovers. But new tyres to? Perhaps new spring leafs and what about the lack of bumpstops? I thought this would be straight forward but like everything else on a classic dub its a total shit fight all the way!

As long as you use the coilovers on the highest setting and go for a tyre profile as suggested by others, your most of the way there. Certainly improved my setup. :D

Geeze said:
ps.
as this is turning (justifiably given all the threads on dropped spindles!) into a one stop shop on how to make them work, here's the SP at the other end of the beam:

DSC05497.jpg

shows stock beam / stock spindles with torsion bars removed and then lowered to point of balljoint bind (ie. limit of travel).
Tyres are 195/45R15 (so smidge taller than slam tyres).

Definitely doesn't look like 3.5" spare under that beam lip for the drop on the spindles.
Something else to worry about when I finally get around to getting mine fitted up :roll:

Are you putting adjusters into give you more drop before using the Drop spindles?

r73 said:
do yourself a favour and get the coilovers from GSF - -a fair bit cheaper and unless i'm mistaken they're the same. you will have to cut down the bottom shock mounting bush (on the shocks) its too long for the thread as they come. and yeah tyre of choice for me would be 175/65/14 - you can get a good load rating in this size - or if you want you can have my old 185/60/14's for a fair price cos i'm prob gonna change em!
think you'll prob hit the road before the bump stops come into play anyway :lol: !!!!

anyone have the part number for these from GSF?????

thanks for the tyre offer ill let you know when i see how my bus behaves with the new setup

Pretty sure its these one -

T1 >79 Rear Coil Over Shocks 455VG0850 £56.50

r73 said:
Pretty sure its these one -

T1 >79 Rear Coil Over Shocks 455VG0850 £56.50

yep correct - and I have put them on mine and they have stopped the rubbing 98%, it was doing it all the time before - cornering hard , bumpy b roads.
You do need to trim as stated, and it is perhaps a tricky one to get them on as they need to be compressed slightly [well on my setup they did] I'm not major low 59cm from floor to bottom of front arch.....

Yeah ,, you have got to wiggle em on. Trolley jack helped out though :lol: Just take a bit of the bottom sleeve `before` you put em on 5-10mm is great. Even on top hitch,, you`ll have a bit of rubbage ! So you do need to sort out your front boots and reduce the overall size of those puppies. :shock: Then you is pretty much sore ted.!

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, :mrgreen: + Stella :mrgreen:

Cali_bay said:
Are you putting adjusters into give you more drop before using the Drop spindles?

being my usual, feckless undecided self :oops:

sensible head says run it on just the dropped spindles first and see how it sits.
other sensible head says by the time the spindles and arms are off, the beam is halfway to stripped and may as well finish the job and put adjusters in. :?

either way, the adjusters would just be to tweak the stance and dial out some arch gap. was glad to hear that you haven't clipped the beam yet though :D trying to be good and keep this one the right side of popping out catseyes!

irony: decided to stick with balljoint over link pin to keep it all a lot less hassle :lol:

Geeze said:
Cali_bay said:

being my usual, feckless undecided self :oops:

sensible head says run it on just the dropped spindles first and see how it sits.
other sensible head says by the time the spindles and arms are off, the beam is halfway to stripped and may as well finish the job and put adjusters in. :?

either way, the adjusters would just be to tweak the stance and dial out some arch gap. was glad to hear that you haven't clipped the beam yet though :D trying to be good and keep this one the right side of popping out catseyes!

irony: decided to stick with balljoint over link pin to keep it all a lot less hassle :lol:

it is a lot less hassle - put in adjusters, I probably wouldn't narrow it as that does add a level of pita that's best avoided, the DS drop is significant but may not be enough so I would always go with adjusters too if funds permit.
As if you don't and decide WTH I'll go lower, it's beam out job....or pop the bj's on the bottom arms and adjust on the adjusters - so that's 1hr as opposed to the couple of days? with the bus on jacks and the beam in bits in your garage :lol:

all imo ;) [ I'm adjusted 1-3 teeth round on my adjuster so hardly using it, but when I get the time/effort/cash it'll be tub/notches and catesyes scooper go go go]
:mrgreen:

dubdubz said:
it is a lot less hassle - put in adjusters, I probably wouldn't narrow it as that does add a level of pita that's best avoided, the DS drop is significant but may not be enough so I would always go with adjusters too if funds permit.
As if you don't and decide WTH I'll go lower, it's beam out job....or pop the bj's on the bottom arms and adjust on the adjusters - so that's 1hr as opposed to the couple of days? with the bus on jacks and the beam in bits in your garage :lol:

all imo ;) [ I'm adjusted 1-3 teeth round on my adjuster so hardly using it, but when I get the time/effort/cash it'll be tub/notches and catesyes scooper go go go]
:mrgreen:

shush, you're not helping, this is supposed to be a sensible family bus capable of carrying full family and camping gear across to a pitch without carving two furrows and upsetting the site owner :D

but have been thinking along the lines that it's bite the bullet and do it all in. hoping to avoid having to narrow, am not a big fan and think (hope!) can get the clearance by sticking with decent offset wheels. Plus it sounds like keeping a hold of the bumpstops is a really good idea!

ok ive fitted my t.haus dropped spindles afew weeks ago now and ive got the coilover shocks from GSF on set to max stiff with 185/65/14 upfront with ZERO rubbage. ive probably driven my van a good 300-400miles and havent noticed any probs although its not as low as it was with the adjusters set to max low. but my spinal cord isnt aching either

thought someone might be interested? :D

good stuff bud, thats exactly how mine is set up - had a very slight rub of the tyre on the tub but no prob whatsoever - its a bit of a springy ride tho - where did you get your tracking done?mines not 100% right -

Haha mines not 100% right either. I did it by eye myself. All the monkey tyre fitters round here reckon they can't get the kit on the van cos its to low!

Good to know that the niggles are sort-able guys. Are you running standard bump stops?

yup, havent touched the bump stops mate. drives fine, but it is a springy ride - makes me feel a bit car sick to be honest - might look into getting some air shocks in the winter, or see how grahams mods pan out.

On ours:
Stock beam, stock bumpstops, 185/60R14 tyres and no rubbing even fully laden (but it is a deluxe not a pop top westy, so possibly a bit lighter?). Have the GSF coilovers too, currently backed right off. Drove nicer with them fully firm but lifted the front about 10mm. Both settings they feel under damped though.

Cool, got 175/65 R14s going on so only another 3mm or so of sidewall. The bus has got some gasadjust shocks on atm, I'll see how they work out and be prepared for a trip to GSF. Thanks for the info.

jammac said:
bumpstops are cut off on mine :msn4:

I'm hoping to avoid this order to give the option of going back to stock if required in the future.