Oil change and Gaskets,how do you do yours.......

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky71

Reaction score
I am in the process of repairing a stud on the sump/case,annoying little weep so i've took the bull by the horns and am trying to replace a bolt with a new stud.

On to my question,when you do a full oil change and not an intermediate(running engine in)and you replace both gaskets(one on the face of the case,the other on sump plate)do any of you use Gasket Sealant on either side of the gaskets or just leave alone and use the gaskets on their own??

I did not want to tweek the nuts :oops: too tight like the PO of the case and damage/strip the threads on the studs using a 10 mm spanner and end up with another useless case.

Fed up with having to leave a tray on the garage floor or do VW engines leak slightly,i'm guessing not.I've seen relatively new Transit's and the like dripping on the floor so i suppose not everything will be perfect.

Am i asking too much of the sump plate and engine??
Standard 16tp with oil bath filter and 34 pict 3 carb so totally standard.

Regards.

Sharky.

Done mine this weekend ready for the summer shows and our trip to Europe

I tend to replace everything every oil change as its fairly cheap to do - I usually change the oil every 3k or so
The only difference this change was that I fitted new studs to the sump as the others were beginning to get a little rough looking.

So I have just replaced the following,
Metal filter screen
Base plate
Studs
Bolts
2 x gaskets
Changed out the oil in the air filter

I do use a smear of hylomar gasket sealant (horrible blue stuff) between the base plate and paper gasket to ensure a decent seal although I am pretty sure its not strictly necessary.

Hope the info helps!

I just use the gaskets without sealer, just make sure surfaces are clean.
I had a similar problem with my recon engine, it had a helicoil fitted that came out but you can get over size studs, so I just tapped the case to fit and used some loctite when fitting, seems ok since.

Well I don't use sealant, I use the new gaskets as intended, However there are little leaks all over on mine! Garage floor is marked and there is an old washing up bowl under, she leaves her mark wherever she goes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shaunb said:
Well I don't use sealant, I use the new gaskets as intended, However there are little leaks all over on mine! Garage floor is marked and there is an old washing up bowl under, she leaves her mark wherever she goes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That could be because the sump plate is distorted by previous over tightening.
Try rubbing it on some fine wet and dry on a sheet of glass, the wear marks will tell you if it's perfectly flat or not.

NickJ said:
I had a similar problem with my recon engine, it had a helicoil fitted that came out but you can get over size studs, so I just tapped the case to fit and used some loctite when fitting, seems ok since.

so is there enough distance to "retap and use oversized studs" by my guess there is about 3-4mm til your in the space where the oil filter sits.

Regards.

Sharky.

I seal it up with a bit of the hylomar blue around both sides of both gaskets. Leaked a bit when I changed the oil the time before last, the last time couldn't find anymore gaskets so stuck 'em back on with more sealant and now it doesn't leak at all...

Sent from my 02_jbla668 using Tapatalk

sharky71 said:
NickJ said:

so is there enough distance to "retap and use oversized studs" by my guess there is about 3-4mm til your in the space where the oil filter sits.

Regards.

Sharky.

Only the part of the stud that screws in to the case is over sized, so when fitted it looks just like a normal stud, I thinks I got it from heritage, and doesn't interfere with the oil filter.

Just done mine yesterday for the first time on my bus. I think as with all jobs where you're trying to make a good seal, preparation of the surfaces is key. Although my old gaskets came off in one piece, there were small patches of old cardboard stuck to all mating surfaces, that may or may not have been there for many previous changes. Cleaning them off carefully with a small screwdriver and a scouring pad has sorted that out.

Assuming all surfaces are flat, the cardboard gaskets should be enough, and will save scraping off old sealant next time round. Personally, I used a socket on a screwdriver extension as that'll help avoid over tightening.

Shaunb said:
Well I don't use sealant, I use the new gaskets as intended, However there are little leaks all over...

Goes for me too. a good clean and new gaskets, with not over tightening the studs, ought to do the trick. :D

I'd rather have a few drips than have to scrape off sealant or lose a stud.

Most of the time People over tighten the sump plate :roll:
If you can see/feel the 'bumps' stretched holes,I lay it on a solid surface and smack the dimples with a small ball Peen hammer and make them smooth ;)
I use a small dab of sealer,smooth it with your finger VERY thin (Yamabond/ Locktite Moto seal/ ThreeBond 1194) it's gray and never hardens!!!

Latest posts