Oil cooler / oil pump

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDM68

Reaction score
Are there any issues running a external / under bus cooler with a 1600 twinport? Is there a max length for pipes / cooler location? Any. Issues with oil pump type?

Cheers
Lee

You don’t need an external oil cooler on a stock 1600. If it’s overheating find and fix the problem rather than putting a bandage over it.

The bus doesn't overheat and had one from long before we had it, was just wondering whether it needed anything special when installed

I have never had one, its on the list for the next non stock engine. I was worried about driving mine in the 40oC heat last year on a long run back from Ireland. Fine when moving, but when the motorway grinds to a stop my imagination takes over.

I guess some considerations:
a little more oil depending on how long your pipes are and the size of the cooler.
where its mounted can it get dinged.
Will it get air flow, does it have an external fan?
How is the fan operated (Thermostat is common)
If the cooler and pump are supplied as a kit, then I suspect the oil pressure / flow rate will be fine.

You could use a laser thermometer to see if the return is cooler than supply so you know it's working as expected, not sure about the amount of reduction to expect 10%? Guess it depends on the air temperature.

Best of luck.

I’ve I got a 2007cc running with twin Weber ICT carbs. I don’t have any issues of over-heating and don’t have an external cooler. When I was driving on the motorway yesterday at 64mph I noticed the gauge read 90 degrees which is the highest it’s been for a while as it is usually stuck on 80 deg. It was a very hot day though.
The engine does have a deep sump and holds 4.5 litres of oil.

I've always found that my engine cools down stuck in motorway traffic!

VW air cooled engines over cool at idle.
Exactly, and that what them there flaps are all about. I must get round to sorting some out for mine while I’m thinking about it.
While I’m here, I’ve got a shroud with flaps at home but it’s the rounded one and don’t have the extra space required but it does have a fully functioning set of flaps,,,, Ooooerrrr missus,,,,
Anybody know if these are universal as in can I transplant them into my van next time the motor is out ?
Somebody told me once :rolleyes: That after a good hard run on a hot day or any time you may think that your motor is-on the warm ish side, don’t just turn it off, but let it idle for a while ,,,, a minute or two,,,,which will allow the oil to chill a little and spread that around the motor . I think that’s spot on so when I’m next out in the van I’m gonna take my thermometer and shoot up the temp at an easy to get to spot then leave it idle for a couple of minutes and see how much difference there is, :unsure:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,might make the oil last longer toooo.:)

I’ve I got a 2007cc running with twin Weber ICT carbs. I don’t have any issues of over-heating and don’t have an external cooler. When I was driving on the motorway yesterday at 64mph I noticed the gauge read 90 degrees which is the highest it’s been for a while as it is usually stuck on 80 deg. It was a very hot day though.
The engine does have a deep sump and holds 4.5 litres of oil.
Those temps are spot on, well built and tuned engine there 👌🏻

I've always found that my engine cools down stuck in motorway traffic!
Yup, my 2276 normally runs at 180f on a motorway blast but with hot weather like what we’ve got atm it will go to 195. If it reaches 195f it soon drops back down 180ish if I slow down or get stuck in traffic. Oil temps on really hot days up to 215f are perfectly acceptable

My engine(2017) was built by the same engine builder as MIKE202 and I drove it home from the garage in 25 degree heat.
Four hours:)oops::oops:) of constant driving and did not exceed 85 degrees. Mine has a deep sump also, but it is the shallow model and does
not catch on anything.

J & P
:D:D:D

My engine(2017) was built by the same engine builder as MIKE202 and I drove it home from the garage in 25 degree heat.
Four hours:)oops::oops:) of constant driving and did not exceed 85 degrees. Mine has a deep sump also, but it is the shallow model and does
not catch on anything.

J & P
:D:D:D
A deep sump doesn’t reduce oil temps, Gene Berg proved this many years ago. A deep sumps purpose is to have the oil level lower in the engine and get it away from the rotating assemble so oil doesn’t get whipped up and aerated.

A deep sump doesn’t reduce oil temps, Gene Berg proved this many years ago. A deep sumps purpose is to have the oil level lower in the engine and get it away from the rotating assemble so oil doesn’t get whipped up and aerated.

I believe it was also intended to inhibit oil-surge, whereby oil surges under linear acceleration & deceleration or centripetal acceleration under "high-speed" cornering, resulting in the oil-suction tube being no longer immersed in oil and hence sucking in a mixture of oil & air.

II believe it was also intended to inhibit oil-surge, whereby oil surges under linear acceleration & deceleration or centripetal acceleration under "high-speed" cornering, resulting in the oil-suction tube being no longer immersed in oil and hence sucking in a mixture of oil & air.
This is also correct. Either way they have no effect on cooling

Latest posts