Oil leak

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam1970bay

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Camper
I know never going to stop it,

I am getting it leaking out of rocker covers.
Tried new gaskets, both Silcon and cork, new rocker covers and new clamps none seems to make a difference, it’s dripping straight on to my hot j tubes

And recommendations

When you next have the covers off, just check how flat they are and check inside the lip too. They can become slightly deformed if they’ve been squeezed on too jauntily or if they have something stick inside the lip. Also check that the mating surface on the head is completely flat and there’s no distortions or slagg just around the outside that might unsettle it. And lastly trial fit your rocker cover with no gasket on and see if you can rattle it about by pressing on any one side more than the other. If all of those are nice then I use hylomar blue on the gasket to rocker cover face and just lightly glue the gasket to it, then I use copper grease and smear the other side then fit. I use ally bolt on covers but I also accept a tiny leakage but not so much as to notice a drip even.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,perfect would be great though :)

When silicone gaskets came out, they seemed to be the perfect solution but peeps are telling me lately that the newer ones distort easily as soon as the motor gets hot.
So I use cork and just buy the best I can get.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,it’s never ever just simple :)

Ive used the fat cork gaskets and Hylomar, but they still leak. I've got the clip on ally covers, which I think may be the issue because you have to use bails supplied with the covers, but Im not so sure they work properly.
I've been thinking about bolt on covers, but have heard they leak from the head studs.. that or back to stock, but proper early oem, nothing that's sold now.

I have never had a problem with bolt on covers, use cork gaskets . I also use clear Bostic on the gaskets to glue them to the covers. Well it works for me.

Cheers I will try the fatter gaskets

If not bolt on set up,

I am just concern on oil dripping on to hot pipes

I have never had a problem with bolt on covers, use cork gaskets . I also use clear Bostic on the gaskets to glue them to the covers. Well it works for me.
Same Dav but I use blue hylomar and it keeps most in, I don’t have drips anywhere but my garage floor ain’t clean for sure. Might be a bit better this year as I’ve got my crank vent piped to the underside of the air filter and that should help.
Cheers I will try the fatter gaskets

If not bolt on set up,

I am just concern on oil dripping on to hot pipes
Don’t worry about the oil apart from the pong and the pollution side of things. Nobody’s actually out and out shouted “Here comes the Exon Valdise” while your parking up :unsure:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,or have they ???

A few of us aircooled mechanics looked at this and it appears the latest gaskets have a lot more rubbish in them rather than just cork which under a microscope produces an uneven sealing surface, the Elring ones are absolute rubbish and will not seal without sealant. One of the mechanics did some research and found the Victor Reinz ones to be the best quality ones out there at the moment, we now hold stocks of these.

Are they genuine rocker covers? If not track down a decent set on eBay or alike. With decent gaskets and bail clips they won’t leak, No need for sealant or anything either, but everything needs to be clean. I use OG covers on my 2276 with no issues.

Don’t forget to check the two mating surfaces for any sign of being able to rock them without a gasket on. If they don’t sit flat and flush with no gasket, you’ll never get a seal.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,keep us informed

Latest posts