On the way Home

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean69

Reaction score
Photo0447.jpg

Photo0448.jpg

My1st bus purchased, 71 Richard Holdsworth Devon conversion form Penzance where it spent most of it's life,Never moved for 10yrs the guy i bought it off spent £800 getting it through an mot, needed a little welding,brake adjustment and electrics sorted he drove it for 3 miles(garage and back)then decided he didn't want it! I paid £3999.First pics is the start of the journey(A30) home all 459miles to Penrith in Cumbria.2nd pic at Stremtion services 230 miles travelled where it give up due to tight tappets and over rich carb(people said i was mad for trying But!hey it's and adventure).Thank god for the Rac.Got it home next day on the back of a lowloader sorted the engine now runs like a dream.Intend to run it for summer then restore does'nt need a lot no welding just a respray(chianti red L31H and old English white L90D) and a drivers door.Will post more as i go.Big thanks to Martin for your help...

sean69 said:
Hi it's from Groulas(think that's the way you spell it)

erm I think you'll find its crowlas :lol: :lol: bloody cornish words :lol: yeah thats it on the main A30 between Hayle and Penzance ;) it spent a little time in the cross roads garage recently on the back of a low loader about a month ago, I drove past it everyday on the way to work 8) its a good looking van. good luck with it mate :D

Hi Sean, glad you found a bus mate, looks good too. You were looking when we were chatting at Camper Jam. (if I got that totally wrong then I apologise in advance, it was a CIDER weekend :lol:

Just

Lol. Hi yes,was telling you I was after one.Was going to have a look at one Leon was importing but this came up and was an opportunity not to be missed really happy.Paint work a bit scabby,needs a drivers door(bought one tonight from morcambeandwize)and a new canvas. keep posting when I start resto..Hope your well

sean69 said:
Lol. Hi yes,was telling you I was after one.Was going to have a look at one Leon was importing but this came up and was an opportunity not to be missed really happy.Paint work a bit scabby,needs a drivers door(bought one tonight from morcambeandwize)and a new canvas. keep posting when I start resto..Hope your well

:lol: We are well thanks mate, looking forward to the pics, looks a bargin! fair play, thats some distance to get the bus and drive home! hopefully see it at CJ next year

Just

Looking forward to more pics Sean, and brave first journey. Well done on the purchase.

looks all good mate. i too bought a 71 five and a half years ago, jumped straight in it and drove it from preston to nottingham. mine made it. JUST. did no more than 45 all the way due to a blanking plate popping off the carb.

all i can say is get some good use out of it before giving it any sort of resto. keep it rolling and do bits as you go. my bus still isnt on the road to this day. a rust spot is the tip of an iceberg :shock:

I know were your coming from.Going to get summer out the way then go the hole hog on it.I help my mate out on my days off doing vw s up and I've seen some right basket cases, people start not realizing the extent of the work and run out of money and they sit for years :lol: .Just sold my 72 beetle which i carried out a full bare metal restoration it took 9 month's.Giving myself roughly 9 month's to complete the bus..maybe a little ambitious

Latest posts