Potential fake buyers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raveboy

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Ex Microbus
Hi all,

We've been trying to sell our bus for quite a while now and during the last couple of months I have had about 3 enquires originated from the 'For Sale' section on this site, from new members originating in Ireland. I send them more images and then hear nothing else or they say they'll fly over with cash or bank transfer.
I just have not got a good feeling about this enquires so wondered if anyone else has experienced these potentially bogus buyers ?

Cheers for your thoughts
Rave (Steve)

Hi Steve!

I had a feeling you thought I was bogus, when I didn't hear back from you, I was feeling the same!

Unfortunately in Ireland our VW community is small, and there are very few early bays up for sale at any given time, so the UK is the easiest place to source from!

I've been buying cars from the UK for a long time, mostly through Facebook and Ebay, I'm not a "forum" person as such, I don't own a pc, but I seen your van on here and thought I'd sign up and see if you were willing to sell it to me. There is an awful lot of scammers on the internet as your friend says up above, so I think anyone in this hobby is wary of getting caught out.

I offered you my email and Whatsapp so we could have a chat and offered to do a bank transfer to your account so that was me taking all the risk. The other option was for me to fly over to you with cash and pay for it in person, those are the only two options I have, both are a lot more risky my end. But as I say you're not on your own being wary of scammers. I asked you were the rear seats listed on the V5 as its an absolute pain over here to get that changed if they are not on the V5

When I didn't her back from you, I presumed you didn't want to sell it to me or that the seats weren't on the V5 so I didn't take it any further.
I'd like to think there are less scammers in the VW community, usually someone knows someone and there's a connection to be made. I could whatsapp you and do a video call I could show you my '64 Beetle, if you wanted to see it (that I imported from the UK last year).
No hard feelings at all my side for you being cautious, unfortunately the way the world has gone, were all paranoid. (From my end, my 20 years of raving didn't help either, or maybe it did?!) Are you on Facebook? I could friend you if you like?

Let me know what you think.
Cheers,
Dan.

Wow, Dan, thanks for making the effort to try and straighten out this one. What’s with the seats thing then? If it’s listed on the V5 as a camper , is that not quite good enough? Does it need to be a camper and seats five or whatever it needs ? I’ve got no idea what mine says. I’ll look later.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, thanks for posting bud :)

Hi Ozziedog!

Registration of a foreign car in Ireland can be a pain, especially with classics, if there's anything that's not the norm it can get really tricky.
I've only ever imported one van before a T25, it was originally a van converted to a camper, but it was only listed as having two seats and I had to get through a lot of red tape to get the other seats onto the new irish logbook. Engineers reports, main dealer verification and allsorts. I promised myself I'd never go through all of that again lol.
I'm not an expert on UK V5s by any means but I thought there was a section that listed the number of seats whether it's registered as a passenger car, van or campervan?
Also insurance wise, if it was originally a van with 2 or 3 seats and is still listed as such, then technically you're not insured to carry more people in it than what's listed on the V5, unless of course your insurance says so.

Worth looking at!
Dan

Just had a peek at my V5 and it says motor caravan, then just below that it says number of seats including driver but there’s nothing at all written on there as regards a number. So would that cause issues over there ?
Mine may be different to others as my van was bought as a panel van and converted by the peeps that bought it and not a conversion company, I wonder if that makes some difference.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, get out now as the sunshine out, for a little run around :)

The internet is full of them, nowhere is safe!
Just to clarify this, now there has been a thread update. I meant the comment generally, not specifically and had no information on the background.

As an aside, the best deals I’ve done selling higher mileage cars on eBay was to folk who sent badly written offers without seeing the car. I’d be tempted to ignore them but a few times they were EE guys who would turn up, pay cash with no issues and drive the car over to Poland, Romania or wherever.

Anyway, as you were.

Latest posts