Project "Betsy" 72 Danbury

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillmorecider

Reaction score
Good Evening Everyone....

I have now started my bus after a year of promises and so much going on I started today...... :?

I have got it at a decent workshop out the back of my old mans mates house, not just happy with a decent size workshop it has a more tools than I will ever use, a huge dry pit, mill, lathe, a crapper and even a Krypton Tuner :lol:

My bus is a 72 Danbury, 3 owners including me.... last one had it for 5 years and did nothing to bar a few bodge plates here and there but these will be removed as it was weld onto crust... naughty naughty!!

Front panel was replaced so its gonna mean a bif of tinkering to return it to a low lighter!!!

So really its a pretty good bus...

First things first I must admit I have never ever done anything like this before so its all a learning curve. So any advice will be greatly appreciated....

Stop the talking Alex and show you all some pics of whats gone on during this fabulously sunny Sunday.

So here is "Betsy"

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00396.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

What fun i was having

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSC00323.jpg

This I am enjoying greatly

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

Feel free to offer me a hand....

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

Are you bored yet?

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

Suppose you have seen this all before but hey I haven't

DSC00373.jpg

DSC00371.jpg

Its a Little bit crusty at the front, but hey I need some obstacles....

DSC00363.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

Bit of a bodge by the last owner

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00382.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

Good Danbury interior too....

DSC00374.jpg

Hi! :D

I look forward to following your progress with Betsy!

Will the original interior be going back in when you've done the work?

Oh and have you put Betsy on the Danbury site yet?
http://vwdanburycamper.wetpaint.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doug

No it did not have belly pans on it since I aquired it.

Lots of fun to be had here I imagine....

Danbury Doug - I am not sure if the interior will be used again.

So if anyone wants to make me an offer for it :wink:

If I could please have first option re the interior, as there are some items I'd be interested in. Thanks! :D

Pm on its way

Alrighty.... another Danbury on the road to its former Glory!

Has the pop roof had a new canvas/bellows.... it looks very taught and in good condition?

There must be enough of us Danbury owners on here now to organise a meet at some time in the future???? Although it would have to be summer 2009 at the earliest for me to attend :(

Camperdan said:
Alrighty.... another Danbury on the road to its former Glory!

Has the pop roof had a new canvas/bellows.... it looks very taught and in good condition?

There must be enough of us Danbury owners on here now to organise a meet at some time in the future???? Although it would have to be summer 2009 at the earliest for me to attend :(

Hi Matey,

No its not been replaced it is in great condition bar two small tears on each side so it is gonna have to be replaced.

The future sounds good...... just need to get her done,

Is the front end a bit more crusty than usual?

and where is ithe best place to buy rebuild chassis parts from? :roll:

Quick update, After lots of job reshuffles, I now have a pub! (with Natch on Draught)

best thing is i have just built myself a temporary camper restoration port at the rear of it.... SO Betsy has upped sticks and moved with me...... just need to get on with it.

I really want to get a meet going at the pub... Its Called the Old Mendip Inn and its on the A37 outside Bristol just before Shepton Mallet. MAhoosive car park , beer garden and a decent bit of grub on offer!

anyone interested in meeting up???

Just look usual crusty to me mate on the front chassis sections .. look for some good cuts from chassis but make sure you get right year ones ..

Sold some good ones to galvman on here who was gonna try and pattern them up to make some more .. not sure if he's done them but worth a shot, as that parts not avail repro ..

I repaired mine layer by layer .. it takes a while but is structurally better ( in my opinion! ) at the strength of the welds is not all in one place .. check my post on here for how mine went ..

Lots of work there but stick with it and keep the pics coming ..

Good luck fella and stick with it!

Hilly

Latest posts