pulling motor out

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian82

Reaction score
Going to pull the motor out of my 69 panel at the weekend. This is my first bus and have never pulled an engine out of one before. What do's and dont's are there?

do disconnect the battery and fuel lines and wiring.
don't drop it on your head.

It really is a piece of piss. Jack up the bus put a strap around the gearbox to suspend it, take off the rear bumper and apron then undo the bottom engine mount bolts, then 4 bolts to gearbox, take off the throttle wire and whip it out :D

I posted this elsewhere before - hope it helps!
gvee said:
Disconnect battery.
Bumper off.
Valance off.

Take photos and notes on the wiring on the engine before removing any connections.

Don't forget about the accelerator cable!
If you have servo'd brakes, disconnect these.

Clamp of fuel pipe near the tank. If you don't have an appropriate tool then use a couple of long sockets on some needle-nose molegrips.
Disconnect fuel pipe at pump (from tank) and catch the remaining fuel in a container.

Depending on what you're doing when the engine out you might want to drain the oil at this point.

Support engine.
Support gearbox.

Moustache bar... undo the lower bolts on the ends (I tend to leave the rubber mounts connected to the bar).
Up to you as to whether you leave the bar attached to the engine. I have done it both ways: leaving it on gives you something to lift the engine with. Taking it off makes it easier to get the engine out on a lowered bus IMO.

Engine to gearbox when looking in to the engine bay (all 17mm):
- top-left bolt goes through the gearbox in to captive nut in engine case
- top-right you need to undo the nut behind the fanshroud. This one is a pig.
- bottom-left there is a nut on the gearbox side
- bottom-right there is a nut on the gearbox side

Have fun!
gvee said:
Oh - before you start!!

Collect sandwich bags and a sharpie.

As you take things off the engine put them in bags and label them e.g. "Moustache bar bolts". This makes putting everything back together a much more pleasant experience!

Wish id read this lot on Tuesday !!! :lol:
I just chucked all the bits in a box!!!
Putting it back together is going to be fun now!!!!

Lee C said:
Wish id read this lot on Tuesday !!! :lol:
I just chucked all the bits in a box!!!
Putting it back together is going to be fun now!!!!
At least it's not a Type 4 engine this time ;)

Don't forget heat exchanger cables ( if you've got any)
And it's easier with two of you there :)

It'll probably be just me but I'll manage. Can you pull it out with exchangers and exhaust still in place?

Yeah just need to disconnect the cables to exchangers
Good luck with it :)

Well had a spare hour this afternoon so thought I'd make a start on getting the rear bumper off. The bolts on the back of the bumper were very rusty so thought I'd take it off from the bumper mounts further back. First 2 bolts I came to snapped clean off

if usng a trolley jack under the engine the sweet lifting spot is bang on the oil stainer

DON NOT PUT THE JACK DIRECTLY ONTO THIS USE A PIECE OF WOOD TO STOP YOU DAMAGING IT

it is easier to suport and balance with two people and lift and place on a pallet if you have one

Latest posts