Returning suspension back to stock feel...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got a 1968 bay and the previous owner has done loads of good things mechanically, including a new 1776 motor, one of the things it turns out that I'm not too keen on is the Spax adjustable coil-overs that are on the front.

I was getting seriously bounced around, so I raised the ride by about 15mm and turned the shock to it's softest setting. They are Krypton Gas and have a 24 click range, they were set to about 8 clicks. It is better but am still getting bounced around a bit, the ride is still harsh and my wife will be wearing her sport-bra next time!

What is the best solution? Can I get a softer replacement coil-over, or try some more adjustments? Can I put it back to stock easily?

Thanks

I assume the adjusters are the collars I turned with the c-spanner to move the base of the spring up/down? If so then yes I'm fairly sure that is all that has been used to lower it. (It's the Red 9 EZ Rider kit)

A fairly common issue (as we found with our van) is that the suspension is dropped too low on standard spindles, and the bouncing you're experiencing is actually a result of the ball joints being permanently at the full extent of their travel. Without going into details, they are at risk of failing completely if left that way long term. I'd be surprised if anything else was your problem, as a fairly standard suspension setup is pretty comfortable, even when coupled with coilovers (unless they're set to maximum damping!)

Get some dropped spindles, raise the beam back up to compensate and it'll be a different van. It'd be worthwhile posting some pics of everything underneath the van as people will be able to comment on whether your beam will be suitable for running with dropped spindles, and anything else worth noting.

OK thanks, how do I tell if dropped spindles have been installed? Assuming they haven't, if I made the ride as high as possible with the coil-over adjusters would this alleviate the ball joint problem?

Can you elaborate a bit more on this: " raise the beam back up to compensate ". This is all fairly new to me.

Here's some photos I took when it was jacked up. Not sure if they show enough?

I'll take some more tomorrow if necessary.

I’m fairly sure that the beam will have been turfed out and the whole suspension if you have the ezrider set up but from those pics, that don’t look like it at all. Maybe it’s been lowered a different way and has coil over shocks to help compensate, maybe they’re even ezrider coil overs. When you lower a bus, you reduce the suspension travel allowed because you’ve got the wheels closer to the body so as soon as you lower more than an inch then you have to start toughening up the suspension to stop them tyres banging on the arch, tough suspension means a tough ride. Have a look at the front centre of the beam on both the top and bottom tubes, there is a pinch point there that would fix the torsion leaves on a stock suspension, if it has been drilled out and fitted with ‘adjusters ‘ that may be how it’s been lowered and you may be able to raise it a little more.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, good fun this lowering malarkey :mrgreen:

Ideally need a photo on the back side of your disc brake to show the spindle itself. They look standard to me, but someone who sees more of these on a daily basis could probably confirm.

As Ozzie has said, some photos of the beam tubes themselves would help, particularly around the centre section so that you can see if it has had adjusters welded in (and what position these are currently set to) or if it has been cut and turned.

I'm getting it all sorted at M&J VW Restorers in Gloucester. They're putting dropped spindles, torsion leaves and adjusters on. This should sort the ride out and keep it almost stock and a bit lowered. I'll report back at the end of the week.

All done, the ride is fantastic, no more bouncing or banging over bumps. The narrowed beam makes the front look good and it all looks very clean and tidy underneath. M&J also did some other bits and bobs at the same time. I'd highly recommend them and will certainly be using them in the future.

It’d be great if you posted up what was fitted, and some pics for reference for others reading this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts