running issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemark

Reaction score
Hi guys
hope you can help me out.
when I go to change down in the gears the engine wants to cut out but doesn't only when I give its some higher revs. Carb issue maybe?? Have a 1600tp with single carb
cheers

Upload some pics of your setup - engine etc
Are you running the standard oil bath air filter?
When was your carb last looked at?
Condition of fuel filter?

Check your points gap mate........typical symptoms if its closed up or furred up

Not running stock oil bath or have points, po changed to electronic dizzy. There is however 2 standard fuel filters in the engine bay ( will change and remove out of bay area asap) about 5 - inches apart and looking dirty.. having troubles uploading pics
cheers

thejinx said:
Can I butt in and ask what the filter has to do with this please?

If you are running a single carb setup without the standard oil bath air filter you can have issues of carb icing and poor running a lower revs
Its one of the first areas to investigate when presented with a problem like this
That combined with dirty/partially blocked fuel filters could be the answer :D

Mixture screw may need adjusting, that can cause it to stall when you slow up and press clutch in, so can carb icing. Are your heat risers getting hot?

I'm running a 1500sp and had a pancake type filter on and same issues, ran it for mot, got there and it just kept stalling when manoeuvring the bus around the yard. When I got it back with a nice fresh mot we had a look at the timing (was ok) and let it tick over till it came off choke....
The probable answer was there for all to see, the top of the manifold where the carb bolts to it was white frost :shock: I've fitted a warming jacket and (for now) an old style beetle filter to test it again. My risers were barely warm at the tops which I'm guessing is blocked?
Anyway, I'll see how it goes while I await the dvla reg!

Latest posts