rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just remembered Mrs Birthday next sunday, So i'll do a crafty Saturday on it. don't want to push my luck to much as we're (me and you not the wife) are in Ninove on Mothers day :msn4: :mrgreen:

Plenty of work to come then - will keep a beady eye on what your doing 8)

Where did you get the cut from?

dubscum said:
just remembered Mrs Birthday next sunday, So i'll do a crafty Saturday on it. don't want to push my luck to much as we're (me and you not the wife) are in Ninove on Mothers day :msn4: :mrgreen:

:lol:

In a similar vein, at Oktoberfest we were sat about having a drink or two when my missus said that she'd just booked a holiday in Spain next year with her sister.
I turned to a mate who asked me what she said and replied "We're off to Spain next year"
"Great" he said " When are we going and where are we staying...?" :shock: :roll:

sparkywig said:
gninnam said:
Plenty of work to come then - will keep a beady eye on what your doing 8)

Where did you get the cut from?

The white corner came from Jonno at Vintage Valley, and the green one (with additional filler) from Mark at MCJ Imports.

Cheers - might see if they have any cuts for a '72.

After a none to subtle hint that the perhaps I had too many "projects" on the go and that the trailer was starting to become a depositary for "stuff", I cracked on with the trailer boards today.
Rub down with fine wire wool and a few coats of Thompson's Water Seal to regain the water repellent properties of the composite boards.

hxGY5.jpg

P0pVJ.jpg

AWiYt.jpg

HldsD.jpg

And not to be left out, I gave the base a coat of sealer as well.

n340Z.jpg

Doesn't look like I accomplished much for a full day, does it?
I'll let them dry for a couple of days, then start re-assembling the trailer and start on the wiring.

Very cold and frosty start here, scraped the windscreen and went to start the bus for the trip down to the workshop.
Hmmm, no generator light and not even a click from the solenoid. Bollocks.
As I went to lift the engine lid I remembered that the battery was in the garage. :oops: :lol:

Anyway, finally got to the yard and spent most of the time down there trimming the corner cuts ready for fitting.

jJvx7.jpg

The latter part of today was spent re-assembling the trailer.

3KSmu.jpg

mRMvc.jpg

NEPxc.jpg

Just need to fiddle with the wiring and source a couple of tyres.

But it started like this.....

After perusing the internet and resto galleries for rev counters, I got a bit fed up of not being able to find one with a sensible scale for an air-cooled engine, and they didn't look right for me. Cost was another consideration as well.
Had a bit of a brainstorm last Sunday evening, and as Nick's got a 924 parked up in the corner of the yard I relieved it of the rev counter. The only trouble was, I didn't want to mount it below the dash and I couldn't find a 100mm pod.
Well, necessity is the mother of invention apparently, so I had a rummage through the garage.

Hmmmm,

kxghF.jpg

an old barrier cream pot fits perfectly, but is too deep,

wqat4.jpg

A short piece of 32mm waste pipe bonded on and a bit of fine wet and dry to give it a key.

25oec.jpg

About 6 coats of satin black.

CLNae.jpg

After another couple of coats of paint, a couple of holes for fixing and cables, all fitted and working.

Oa2cH.jpg

9Awjh.jpg

X68Gm.jpg

JvOg3.jpg

Quite pleased with myself. :D

Looks great - very innovative!

Hope the paint doesnt flake off when it gets too hot or cold!

Top idea though and looks almost factory

sparkywig said:
But it started like this.....

After perusing the internet and resto galleries for rev counters, I got a bit fed up of not being able to find one with a sensible scale for an air-cooled engine, and they didn't look right for me. Cost was another consideration as well.
Had a bit of a brainstorm last Sunday evening, and as Nick's got a 924 parked up in the corner of the yard I relieved it of the rev counter. The only trouble was, I didn't want to mount it below the dash and I couldn't find a 100mm pod.
Well, necessity is the mother of invention apparently, so I had a rummage through the garage.

Hmmmm,

001-71-1.jpg

an old barrier cream pot fits perfectly, but is too deep,

003-44-1.jpg

A short piece of 32mm waste pipe bonded on and a bit of fine wet and dry to give it a key.

004-37-1.jpg

About 6 coats of satin black.

005-27-1.jpg

After another couple of coats of paint, a couple of holes for fixing and cables, all fitted and working.

006-25-1.jpg

007-20-1.jpg

008-21-1.jpg

009-18-1.jpg

Quite pleased with myself. :D

nice work, noticed you have the rubber seal where the steering collum meet the dash, mine is missing any idea where i can get one ?

cheers lobie

Latest posts