rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloody rain, another day lost....

cvk2L.jpg

sparkywig said:
Phew.....

Corner, arch and tub repairs complete. The arch panel was kinked so didn't fit straight, and lots of fiddly bits to get the arch to fit, also needed repair plates to the end of the sill section and the corner of the engine compartment panel. The corner was much easier. :lol:

001-93.jpg

003-102.jpg

002-112.jpg

All seam sealed and undersealed after the pics were taken.

004-80.jpg

005-66.jpg

Ran out of filler, so that and paint are the next instalment, oh, and the off-side repair panel.....

Workshop mo pic to finish.

015.jpg

Your heads on upside down Wig :lol:
nice work mate 8)

cheers shaun

Managed to get the bus out of the rain this afternoon, thanks Nick.
Bit of filler on the rust, but not dent free corner,

30kL8.jpg

and a bit on the arch repair, forgot my sanding block so just a rough coat 'til tomorrow.

8XmiT.jpg

Had a bit of a wet and blustery day here today.......

dN5Me.jpg

Long day today, covered the workshop in filler dust and then broke the gearshift on Nick's pick up. :roll:
Finally got the filler off out in the yard and then removed the outer sill to find the middle sill missing, well it was there at one time....

B6bLS.jpg

Sorted that, made up some plates to repair the holes in the seam between the arch and long panel, and then fixed the outer sill. Really pleased, thanks very much Nick. :) Schofield's repair panel is a brilliant fit, just could do with being slightly heavier gauge steel.

tNKYX.jpg

Got a coat of filler on after this pic, flatting back tomorrow morning ready for a primer coat.

After another 4 hours filling and sanding this morning, I have to say that I have new respect for all the bodyshop guys that do this everyday.
Unless you've done a bit of this yourself don't complain about how much the respray on your bus will cost, 'cos it's worth every penny.

It appears that the bus has been hit in the o/s corner at some point as you can see by the ripples under the window in this pic.
So a bit more work.

672Th.jpg

After yet more filling and sanding yesterday, I had a quick rub down today with some wet and dry.

59sAS.jpg

Still needs another wipe over, and the panel seams tidying.
I hate filling and sanding.

Today I have been mostly sanding and filling, although I actually did some seam sealing as well....

Wh3bq.jpg

SvlTM.jpg

Don't care about pretty, what I want is protection.

And a coat of paint at last,

uzAJf.jpg

needs a rub back and some pinholes filling, but that's tomorrow. :)

It appears that fresh paint doesn't like frost very much.
Parked in workshop this morning with the space heater on. Rubbed back the primer coat and a bit of filler on some pinholes, not too keen on the yellow primer I used, the more expensive grey U-Pol primer is much better.
Forgot to take pics, so this one is just as I was starting on the top coat after laying on some decent U-Pol etch primer, only had one can of primer and top coat though which is why only the corner is finished.

ZwK7J.jpg

dy9KA.jpg

Back home to start the big clean and refit the interior.

zYg0d.jpg

Small things give me pleasure, eventually fitted one of the new rear light rubbers.

fPHSG.jpg

But for every gain there's pain, brake lights have stopped working along with the offside headlight. :roll:

Had enough about 2030, I'll carry on with the refit first thing tomorrow before the Santa Cruz.

7CxcR.jpg

:shock: Wow you don't mess about when you have a job to do.

Great work and looking good 8)