rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At last, under coat and finish colour on the front. :D

Baking in the sun......

The colour looks a bit washed out in the sun, but is much darker. Windscreen being fitted and the reassembly starts tomorrow, although I want to strip the dash back to body colour before I refit it.

Starting to come together, washers, resprayed wiper arms and primer on airbox. :D

Dash painted, what a pain that was. All day yesterday stripping and rubbing back, got fed up with it really........

....but now it's back in.

Dash top needs repairing, so that'll go back in at a later date.

£10 heater knobs came off of eBay at the right time....

The blue has discoloured a bit, that'll mean a few points deducted at the concours competition :lol:

Started on the hidden stuff so I can get the front finished. Fresh air flaps get a bit of tlc.

The seals are fine, but I'm replacing the pivots.

Fresh air flap installment........

painted

open....

shut....

:lol:

cleaned and painted ash tray, fitted heater/flap levers(what a pain in the ass that was, need some more plastic plugs now....), fitted radio cage into oversize hole :evil:

New eyes in.......

Folded panel around A pillars and seam sealed. Put doors back on. N/S side shuts a treat, O/S needs a bit of fettling.
A bit of filler and a coat of primer until I can finish it off properly. Finished welding the rear wheel tubs as well. Had a good day today.
Finished later than expected though, so was served a bit of cold shoulder for tea............ :lol:

Had a bit of a setback this week, bloody kids at the nearby school decided my bus would look better without windows. :evil:
Luckily, they only broke the sliding door glass. But still £85 out of pocket after ordering new glass and rubber.
Sliding door needs repairing before glass can go back in, so yet another job elbowing it's way onto the list.....

Anyway, spent the afternoon working on the front panel filling, rubbing back, refilling and more rubbing back. At 6.30 tonight it looks no different to it did on Saturday, other than a bit more primer. :D

Regained a bit of enthusiasm today, and had another go at the front panel. Rubbed back again and another skim of filler.
However, I fitted a new upper front panel to the bus and this has a different size opening for the front grille. :evil:
A couple of hours later and some reconstructive surgery......

Doesn't look too bad......
A bit more fine wet and dry and a coat of primer.

Needs a bit more work, I think, there's a high spot under the n/s side of the grille that I need to knock back.

Brought the enthusiasm home and started on the front bumper. There's even filler on this :roll:

Might need to get another o/s side step, but other than that it's not too bad. Can't get the bolts undone so I'll be buying some new ones at Bristol next weekend.

After sleeping in a small tent at Bristol Volksfest, it's time to crack on with the bus again.
Spent most of today filling and rubbing back many times, but managed to get a top coat on at last.

Plan to get another couple of coats on tomorrow and then refit the headlights and indicators. :D

Seems a long time since I last did some work on the bus. But this weekend it was time to repair the damage done by the schoolkids.
Cutting the rotten window surround out of the sliding door so I can replace the glass....

See how many coats of paint you can count, children.

Got to a stage yesterday where I'd had enough, just like being in a greenhouse with the sodding perspex roof.
Used a JK window surround repair and the centre section is nearly 2" too short.
Used an old door skin to repair the inner skin, as the bulge is nearly the same profile.
Ground the welds down, slapped some primer on and put the window in temporarily until the next time.

Don't think much of these new JK window seals.

Hello avid fans, no pics today unfortunately.

Managed to get the bus on the ramp today :D

Fitted the replacement pipe from the brake fluid reservoir to the master cylinder. 10 minute job, took just over an hour. Got the pipe off of a '69 van, but it was 9" too long and bent in the wrong places. After trimming pipe to length, lots of kettle boiling to reshape pipe and get reservoir outlet into new pipe. I am still astonished after all these years how different parts are between buses of the same age.

It really is amazing how long "little" jobs take. Scraped old underseal and dirt from rear arches (found a couple of "small" holes, but these will be dealt with when the rear arches are replaced), cleaned around swingarms, rear axle, etc, finished seam-sealing the cargo floor and engine bulkhead repairs and sprayed a couple of coats of underseal on the bus and me. All of a sudden, 7 hours had disappeared.

Really need to get the bus home so I can potter around during the odd half hour or so.....

Morning all, had another go at the sliding door yesterday.
Not quite a silk purse, but better than a sow's ear. ;)

Just need to take the layers of paint back so I can prep and paint before fitting the glass.

Not too far to go now before the bus is home... :D

How are you going to attach the rear of the seat base to the hinge? I see youve drilled and bolted the front part I was just wondering as I will be fitting my z hinges this week hopefully. cool bus btw

I'm still pondering that part. :roll:
Can't bolt through the top as this will hit the hinge base, cant bolt thought the side as this interferes with the hinge.
Did think about a piece of threaded stud through the side with a circlip to secure it.

Latest posts