rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Nick :)

Cleaned and prepped my opening quarterlights over the weekend, primered and top coated, looked ace.
Until last night that is, the black top coat has reacted with something.
So out with the nitromors, stripped them right back to bare metal. Bit of a blessing really, my rust free quarters aren't. :(

Right then, found the pic I deleted.

Cargo floor finished this side.

Fitted the repair panels to the engine bulkhead today, but didn't take any pics. :oops:
Next week's task is to finish the cargo floor and make a rear wheel tub really solid to take a seat belt mount.

Had a day off of work today to get the cambelt done on the works van, so carried on with trying to cover the crappy primer.

Panel doesn't look too bad at the top, needs repairing around the window opening and new rubbers and I'm going to replace the badly fitted lower repair panel with added tub of filler in the future. So not too worried about perfect finish.

The rattlecan started chucking lumps out instead of a fine mist, so gave up for today. Will order some more paint tomorrow and get a replacement for the faulty can.
Looks better than it did, can't wait until it's nearly all one colour. :D

:oops: wheel tubs

Just trying to rectify po's bodges. I don't think I can do much about the off-side inner arch without removing the side of the bus. I'll fit a plate to repair the top section and feather it in farther down to get the arch profile better.

Stripped the dash today ready for the major structural job next weekend. Not as bad as I thought really....

Got a windscreen cut yesterday (thanks Graham L :D), so we're ready to chop the cab roof section over the driver's door and replace the rotten A pillars and windscreen bulge.

Happy with the opening quarter lights, which are now rust free.

Oh, as an aside, I bought a twin port engine a couple of weeks ago for the princely sum of £60. Seems like a bargain, no endfloat, turns over by hand, etc.
I thought I would use it as a base to build a 1914 or something of that nature.
Anyway, the chap who sold it to me gave me a ring a couple of days later, to say he had forgotten to give me some other bits that might be useful and that he was putting them in the post.
These arrived today......

:mrgreen:

As I've stripped the front of the bus, it's time for a bit of work on the stuff I took out.
Cleaned wiper mechanism and replaced dodgy wiper spindle, what a pain in the ass that was.....

Changed speedo for one with a needle, cleaned and fixed dash pod and clocks.

Stripped eight layers of paint off and rustproofed wiper arms as well, but couldn't be assed to take a pic.

Finally got some more paint on the off side middle panel, not too happy with the finish, but it'll do for the moment.
Cleaned up the roof where I'll be cutting this weekend.

Windscreen cut not as solid as I hoped. :( Oh, well, a bit more repairing once it's in.

In the next installment, the bus will be ready for an MOT or fit for scrap, depending on how the weekend goes. :lol:

Nice work chap, keep at it :mrgreen:

Back together again, relieved it's not scrap. :lol:

Just got to weld the B pillar fully and round the window opening. I've still to let some repair sections into the top of the windscreen bulge, a bit disappointed about that really. Then a bit of filler and paint, put the bus back together and then it's MOT time hopefully. :mrgreen:

After the weekend's work, not happy with the top of the front panel cut. Too much filler and repair plates, really disappointed to tell you the truth.

So out came the grinder and off it went. Rather do it twice and properly, than once and bodge it. Plan B. :)

Stayed on late at the workshop to get it welded and ground back. Thanks very much Nick, if you're lurking, much appreciated. :D
Post some more pics tomorrow.

Latest posts