rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Operation late bay steering box started this afternoon.
Well, after a couple of cups of tea anyway.

RUw41.jpg

6xdGf.jpg

g5AYe.jpg

C7fxc.jpg

Crush tubes removed.

RqptH.jpg

I'd show you a pic of the other side of the chassis leg trimmed ready for the conversion plate, but it was so awkward to cut the excess metal out I couldn't be bothered to take one tonight.

Pig of a job Si. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Hats off to you for pulling it off. Steering like a boss now?

Thanks chaps.
On with the steering box conversion.
After last night's messing about cutting out the chassis, I thought today would be straightforward.
Was I wrong about that.

Chassis plate lined up and ready to go.

ivQWK.jpg

OPLn0.jpg

Maybe not then. Note the difference in the plate between the next two pics.

VNoGc.jpg

DsLtn.jpg

And the way the bolt holes line up, or not in this case.

kc4wq.jpg

mMS3Z.jpg

Plate tacked in place, note modification to inner valance to allow steering box to sit over location holes.

HEsiM.jpg

And not forgetting to enlarge the round hole in the other side of the chassis leg.

3MSXi.jpg

Welded in place, ground down and rust treated.

PCUqh.jpg

Now to sort out the hole misalignment by redrilling the crush tubes.

ZUrvE.jpg

Late box finally in place and clamp plate modified and fitted.

m3Bl5.jpg

ZzAuP.jpg

To be honest, if the late box mounting plate had fitted properly it would've taken about 4 hours less to do the conversion, and if I'd checked everything before starting the job it would've been less stressful as well.
But if you buy a plate ready for the job you would expect it to fit first time, wouldn't you....

Anyway, it's done now and the difference is unbelievable. Much lighter and more responsive steering, no play or wandering and I now know where I'm heading rather than take a vague stab in the general direction.

Oh, and swapping from 5.5" wheels and quality tyres to 4" steels and budgets makes a large difference in handling when you launch into the first roundabout at the usual speed, believe me. :shock:

Nice work (eventually....) :mrgreen:

So you would recommend I take it. On the list of things to do then ;)

gninnam said:
Nice work (eventually....) :mrgreen:

So you would recommend I take it. On the list of things to do then ;)

Oh yes, the difference is astonishing.
The steering is light and nicely weighted compared to the last two early steering boxes that have been fitted to the bus.

Now I can look forward to fitting the stroker and gearbox.
Steering, brakes and a decent gearshift, it'll be almost like driving into the 80's.....

:msn4:

sparkywig said:
You'll have to wait and see. :D

I don't do suspense, suprises or pateince well. I'm guessing you've submitted to the GB hype or have gone against the grain with a bugtech monster dildo.

For sale?
I don't think so.
It may be an old shitbox, but I'll never part with it.

I've had a whiff of fuel recently after about 5 minutes driving, so after a bit of investigation I found all the fuel pipes to be like this.

J1We0.jpg

Ph83k.jpg

The rubber had hardened and just pulled off the brass stubs on the fuel pump even with the clamps fully tightened.
That's R9 rated fuel hose 3 years since being fitted.
As a temporary measure I replaced the section between the pump and pressure regulator, and cut the end off all the other joints and refitted them. It should last long enough until I swap engines in a couple of weeks time.

Latest posts