rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while since I last posted on here, seriously lost the love after the trip home from VolksWorld.
Anyway, the bus flew up to Sandown Park on the Friday evening and parked up in the car park with Pete B and Ooro.
Had to have a beer, it's the law you know.

lGwhe.jpg

And then off to The Bear. :)

Saturday dawned and the line up was sorted.

zg2Y5.jpg

i76ux.jpg

Off we all went for a curry and a few beers on Saturday evening, and most of us were ill through the night.
It's funny now. :lol:

Sunday eventually came and was grey and drizzly.

nAFOK.jpg

Considering the trip up took just under 90 minutes, the journey home was torture taking 4 hours due to another hideous misfire that started as I joined the M25.
Up until today the bus has been sitting unmoved and much unloved on the drive, but now it's away having the issues sorted.
Hopefully ready for Thursday's trip to Stratford.

So, as I was so pissed off with the engine running issues and was lack of of time to sort them, the bus got dropped off at Interpro last weekend.
A combination of a few head problems being resolved, and fitting the TT exhaust and 123 dizzy means that it's back better than it was before.

:D

TT exhaust ground clearance means that the back end had to come up slightly, and so did the front, although that can go down another click now it's settled.
The fresh oil is where my spare oil container fell over on the battery tray and leaked out through the drain hole. :roll:

8sm2A.jpg

More last minute solutions to removal of heat exchangers, Sainsburys value deodourant caps are the perfect fit.
Got some funny looks measuring aerosol tins in the toiletry aisles though..... :lol:

53RtI.jpg

WV4d9.jpg

pGjdt.jpg

All finished ready for the trip up to Aircooled '15, and so was the packing.

5pOnC.jpg

The bus ran really well, and I've managed to increase Vmax. :msn4:
Parked up on site.

c7vu1.jpg

Didn't take many pics, here's just a few.
Sunset

im1dB.jpg

Belgian beer bar ready to go

aZqB7.jpg

Sun's out, at last.

eE32L.jpg

Burly Gay crew camp, thanks Shelley.

3iHeP.jpg

Shame about the weather again, but another cracking weekend with good company.

Dubs at the Castle next.
Quick blast along the M48 to Chepstow, bus runs so much better now. Famous last words in hindsight. :lol:

9pwt6.jpg

wKzx7.jpg

First in the Castle grounds on Saturday for the lineup.

s1t27.jpg

Cracking lineup, one of the best I've seen.

9n5iw.jpg

Thanks Rach. :)

s8jP6.jpg

Stripped the rear end ready to remove the engine and gearbox and sort the "issue".

RJh9b.jpg

There's a slight lack of clearance under the engine, so I had to block the bus up one side at a time and try and get some ramps under the wheels. As the wheels drop when jacking the bus up I used another jack on the rear shock mount to lift the wheel.

B3spb.jpg

Did the nearside, and as I jacked up the offside wheel the driveshaft fell off.

:lol:

The CV bolts had snapped at the hub end, and 2 more at the gearbox end. All of the remaining ones were loose both sides.
Transmission problem apparently solved, but these were torqued up new CV bolts fitted after I refurbed the hub carriers and fitted new bearings.

:|

Just read this thread (over about 3 days!).

Man it is inspiring...!

I 95% finished the mega-amounts of welding (basically the whole lower 18" of my bus) in 2002/3 :oops: , then had more kids, moved house, etc, etc...
Always thinking "I can't afford to get it painted" :lame:

Reading this thread (especially the earlier , more 'weldy' posts), took me back a decade to lying on my drive grinding like fury. :idea: I'm now thinking "Balls to a 'shop' respray, crack on with the last bits of welding, rattle can it, and have some adventures!"

Bus is now parked outside my house, evening 'fettling' ongoing. What you have done to your bus is awesome, you're a proper ambassador for what can be done on the drive/in the shed etc.

Top bloody man!

I wonder if your new lows are causing the occasional knock of the driveshafts, fatiguing the [already stretched] bolts? Meh.

Either way, it sucks, but at least CV joints are cheaper and easier to replace than a gearbox! :msn4:

You'll be back rolling in no time! :D

sparkywig said:
All back together with all forward and reverse gears. And a decent starter battery, no more lazy starter. :D

Good news
It's my turn to roll again tomorrow- train ticket booked down to Bristol Parkway to hopefully pick up a fully running Westy. It's been a long hard empty summer so far, Should be in Scotland this time next month ..... Fingers crossed