rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sparkywig said:
All back together with all forward and reverse gears. And a decent starter battery, no more lazy starter. :D

Does the battery make much of a difference Si?
Ours has always been a bit of a reluctant starter when warm!

I just read the entire thread, and must say that i have enjoyed watching your bus come together, really nice work it looks awesome :D

I have gotten myself into buying a rusty '68 bus that have spendt the last 20 years in a barn, never owned a aircooled vw before and i am really excited to get it home, and judging by your thread i properly have a lot of fun ahead of me :lol:

And i know it dosen't look like an earlybay, unfortunately it was facelifted in the 70's

A big difference to a 45Ah one, but I have got a bit more compression and capacity over stock.
You might have other issues as well Stu. Check all the connections and make sure the solenoid's working fine. More resistance when warm.

FWZ said:
I just read the entire thread, and must say that i have enjoyed watching your bus come together, really nice work it looks awesome :D

I have gotten myself into buying a rusty '68 bus that have spendt the last 20 years in a barn, never owned a aircooled vw before and i am really excited to get it home, and judging by your thread i properly have a lot of fun ahead of me :lol:

GBw7p.jpg

And i know it dosen't look like an earlybay, unfortunately it was facelifted in the 70's

Nice bus, panel van conversion.
If it was mine I'd put it back to a panel.

Saturday was mainly a set up day, a few ciders, and a Rockabilly band playing on a flatbed truck.

bEmKS.jpg

RXFxe.jpg

bZp9A.jpg

5mMnT.jpg

tsxHA.jpg

Balloon was awesome.

fFqNY.jpg

Sunday was the main show day with more people attending than anticipated. Large selection of good quality autojumble and a diverse range of VWs and Americana.

DshSt.jpg

yY3D6.jpg

sr9PH.jpg

HLkhn.jpg

98HAa.jpg

6yWLE.jpg

And on the plus side I sold £240 worth of parts.
Roll on next year. :)

Nice one Wig gotta count me in for a trip to Bristol next year. Bus looks great mate , your my inspiration when things break and you need to just keep going. Great thread.

Glad it's running well Si! When I fitted my Rancho box I put lock tight on the bolts then torqued them.

So this weekend was Big Sunday at Croyde. Drove down Saturday evening and met up with Rich and Co. at Hidden Valley Campsite.
Just a couple of pics.
The front end looks way up high in this one. :lol:

0MKuS.jpg

Lining up before the cruise.

srx6U.jpg

Xzqtv.jpg

Nice place for a show.

GVNjr.jpg

re4tO.jpg

m1vPH.jpg

A3h4R.jpg

IxaX0.jpg

wntrm.jpg

Shamelessly lifted from a facebook post.

pI8iP.jpg

And then followed Graham and Jenni in the Valley Electric bus home along the A361 and M5.
Couldn't go back to a stock 1600. :lol:

LYxBk.jpg

Pleased to say it looks like all the engine gripes have been cured, it flew down on Saturday evening and even surprised a couple of BMWs on the hills. :D