Sad pictures and a Warning/Reminder

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mike202 said:
rlepecha said:
I also agree with Graham, its not a money spinner and is a serious issue.

Although I've been using cheap GSF R6 hose for 3-4 years now, on my old beetle and now in my bus. I've yet to notice any of the lines going brittle or cracking, the ones in the bus have been in a year and a half now.
I do use copper pipe for at least 80% of the line though, only using the hose where connection to barbs are required and where many bends are made.

I personally think we should all be using proper hard lines with compression fittings at fuel pumps and carbs etc, probably wouldn't cost much more than the proper ethanol rated rubber line!

I agree about the copper pipe fuel line, I loved this split bus engine at Busfest last year.

Copper is great but would work harden quite easily like that I would've thought. Kunifer pipe would be better suited. I only used copper for mine because its what I had to hand.

ouch not pleasant, :cry:

just had a google for cut off switches very confusing is it some thing that fits directly after the fuel tank, is it electronic/ignition based any body help.

I think now as well as a firetec system i will fit one as part of my resto rebuild. have already listed breather joints and feed lines etc to be replaced but all i can do to avoid this i will...

Just saw this thread, thanks for peoples kind words and thoughts, much appreciated! :)

Devastated does not begin to describe how I felt as I stood helpless and watched it, along with everything in it and the interior, all go up in flames :cry:

One of the many painful lessons from this tragic experience that I’m currently having to learn, is make sure you have the contents (personal effects) of your camper properly insured if you contemplating a road trip! Decent cameras, sleeping bags, iPads etc. very quickly mount up in value :(

That's so sad. I read your article, you show such positivity at such a shocking time. Wishing you all the best in the future.

finally found one of these

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/fuel-shut-off-valve-large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

after i gve up looking but seriously considering fitting one after P4's sad experience

We've fitted a couple of these now from VW Aircooled Works http://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk/Fuel-Tank-Cut-Off-Solenoid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in conjunction with an extinguisher

:sad0049:

very sad to see but glad no-one hurt - could have been much worse - the tank could have exploded I suppose :shock:

I've had a fuel solenoid on my bus for 8 years, replaced fuel lines with the A1 marine hose 4 years ago - and I check it every year - its only because I've seen 2 buses close hand on fire - its not pretty

Graham L said:
No its not a money spinner by VW Aircooled works and has been widely publicised on forums etc, we only fit SAE30 R9 fuel hose and have been doing so the last 12 months. All the major players sell it but we buy it in wholesale. If you have the old fuel hose with the braided cover on it change it now as we've found that it has perished in less than a couple of years.

Happy to put together a package of latest spec hose and clips if people are interested.

That's awful for the poor guy. Hope all was safe. I would be interested in changing or even having changed all my hoses Graham. Drop me a message ref a package price please. I also need a tow bar fitted to single cab to tow a tear drop can you help on that.

I had R9 rated fuel hose, didn't last more than a year before cracking, luckily I spotted it, otherwise mine would be up in smoke.

When I replaced this, I used the kit from Vw Aircooled Works, ethanol etc rated, much more expensive than R9, but at least will last, supposedly 25 years or so I read. It's been on for some time now without a problem, I used the kunifer metal pipe to go from underneath to through the tinware

Its worth checking your pipe right now, even if it is less than a year old, I was surprised that mine went, and that was R9 which is supposed to be the best.

I have pictures up on my build thread of the R9 cracking.

Cheers

Alistair

After reading this I just replaced all mine for the stuff rated for 100% ethanol. I had r9 on for a couple of years which hadn't shown any signs of deterioration although I had mainly been on LPG the fuel was still sat in the pipe. Maybe a bad batch recently?

Feel more comfortable with the 100% stuff as the percentage is only likely to increase

SAEJ30 R7 DIN 73379 is whats on mine
I fuess the R7 isnt as good as the R9 but its good enough if checked frequently?

My mate fitted R9 that cracked after a year, but mine seems to be fine.

I wonder if there was a bad batch.

Alistair, where did you get yours from ?

I've bought a fuel cut off relay to fit too as reading a few posts about fires in these the fuel tank keeps pouring fresh fuel on the flames so so amount of extinguishers can put it out
They are about £14 so worth it I think

AxlFoley said:
My mate fitted R9 that cracked after a year, but mine seems to be fine.

I wonder if there was a bad batch.

Alistair, where did you get yours from ?
Hi,

I got mine from advanced fluid solutions, a few people on here used this company too. They also now sell the ethanol stuff iirc. There was a thread a while ago when someone had asked them about it, they said it was crap, have a search, I think there are a few threads on it.

Cheers,

Alistair

Latest posts