Should there a oil seal here (pic included)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rippers

Reaction score
Taken off the alloy crank pulley that was on the engine to change it for a standard one as it been leaking oil from behind it

Is it right there is no oil seal here? I read about a oil thrower seal on the front crank pulley is that inside the case?

D9E1870E-02CC-4004-BADA-FAD551E80051-5079-0000049AF7999489.jpg

dished washer you can see through the hole,screw thread on pulley gives a positive pressure to send any oil/fumes back into case thats why you need negitive (vacumn) on the breather ,ie suctsion from carbs.have fitted a sand seal kit before now when case had been line bored and pully was to "loose" in hole .

Best to try it with a proper stock pulley with oil slinger spiral first. Mine leaked even with stock pulley because the hole was damaged and oval, a sand seal fixed it.

I put a standard pulley on and when for a drive an so far so good. It seems like the flywheel seal is leaking again thou grrr I only changed that a week ago what did I do wrong? I used a genuine VW seal and changed the flywheel O-ring as well. Getting proper ticked off with the oil leaks now.

What can do to improve the breathing on the engine?

rear main seals can be a pain what did you put it in with? its easy to buckle them.
Also have you checked End float if you have too much you will get through seals in no time.

There was .12mm end float which is about 0.004" which I understand is within tolerance

18A92DA4-DD6F-4680-AE5D-002F716B7E34-6974-0000064D956FAA8B.jpg

I used a Machine7 specific tool for fitting the seal, it looked ok to me?

9B96A024-1CF6-48A6-A088-1D13701F54A5-6974-0000064D9AC61AD5.jpg

I'm wondering whether I should check the compression to rule out the rings letting by

Ripley said:
What can do to improve the breathing on the engine?

basic stuff, but check the breather tube for emulsion/blockage and goes to downstream of the air filter, was a recurring problem for me each winter with mostly short journeys. Eventually fitted a bigger diameter thin wall pipe which is still clean after two years.

Latest posts